My Debt Consolidation Program Past - One Year Debt Free!

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

My Debt Consolidation Program Past - One Year Debt Free!

• Comments 4

On September 26th I celebrated the one year anniversary of the completion of my Debt Consolidation Program

Now that the date has passed, I decided it was time to really sit back and reflect on my year of debt freedom.

I have to admit that this past year I have spent a lot of money.  I had a few months where I was not able to stay on budget.  I had other months where I was under budget. 

I learned you can't plan for everything because sometimes life just happens. 

When I first became debt free, I would get stressed if everything was not exactly as I had planned. 

Now I don't stress because that is what the savings is for.  Yes, it would be nice if I never had to touch my savings, but that is not how things work.

The first few months I was probably overly strict with myself.  Never allowing myself to spend the money I had set aside for a haircut, clothes, shoes, etc.,  especially if something else came up that I could use the money on. 

Now I am a bit more relaxed and finally got my first haircut since I became debt free.  It did take a friend of mine getting married for me to actually do it, but after I did it I realized that I didn't become debt free to have to continue to be so tight on spending money on myself.

This year I have:

• Helped my daughter move
  • Took my mom on vacation to visit my daughter
  • Paid off my cruise
  • Got a great deal on my airfare for the cruise
  • Bought shoes
  • Bought clothes (got a great deal, over 50% off)
  • Almost have my Christmas savings complete
  • Got a haircut
  • Bought new tires/battery/windshield wipers for my car
  • And also spent more on other things

As you can see with the list above, since I have become debt free I have been able to afford things that I had put on hold while getting out of debt.  It is an amazing feeling to know that I was able to do all of this and still have some savings.  Of course I do hope to be able to save even more in the next year.

Here's to another year!!!

Monica Davis, Debt management plan graduate, with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Monica Davis

Monica is no stranger to the CareOne Community. As a debt management plan customer (DMP), Monica engaged in our community forums regularly, helping others with questions about the plans. Now that Monica has completed her DMP in just three years, Monica continues to share what made her successful in the forums and now through our blogs. Monica is accustomed to providing support and works as a Communications Officer for an emergency dispatch center in Washington State.  Follow Monica as she shares her tips and insight in the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Who has two thumbs and freaking ROCKS?  YOU DO!  I really enjoy reading your updates, Monica - and hearing how you continue to succeed in handling your finances using such diligence and structure.  As Vonnie and I approach the end of our DMP, you inspire me to ensure that we stay on the straight and narrow even after we make that last payment!

• Happy Debt-Free anniversary! It's great to read about people's path post-DMP.

• Travis I can't wait for the day that you and Vonnie join me in being debt free!!  It is such a great feeling.  You my friend helped me get to where I am today!!  Thank you!

• saracarr I agree with you!!  I always looked forward to reading about how people were handling life after debt.  I always enjoyed your posts.  I am not quite as involved as I used to be, but hope I will be able to be more involved again in the future.  Thanks for stopping by!!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment