Debt Consolidation Plan Credit Card Horror Stories

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Debt Consolidation Plan Credit Card Horror Stories

• Comments 4

Have you ever had a creditor that was a nightmare?  I certainly have. 

My creditor was Barclays.  As soon as they received a proposal from CareOne asking for a lower interest rate, they called me. 

That was just the beginning of the horror story. 

During that initial call they were very rude and yet I had never been late with them.  They wanted me to pay off my debt right up front.  I have to admit I ended up hanging up on them.

Then they told me that I would have to be three months late before they would even talk about helping me. 

How is that going to help me?  All that would do is increase my debt. 

A few months later I receive an automated call from Barclays telling me if I wanted an interest rate of (if I remember right) 5% to press "1."  I pressed "1" and when the live person came on the line and I said that I was interested in the lower interest rate they hung up on me.  This happened a few times in the course of my debt.  I then received an offer in the mail stating that they were willing to waive any late fees and over-the-limit fees for three months. 

This was no help to me as I wasn't late or over my limit.  I later received an offer to pay only 1% of my balance for a certain length of time.  My question is how is this going to help me when they are charging me 30% interest?  All this is going to do is help them make more money off of me.

The experiences I had with them, made me fight back.  I paid as much as I could towards this creditor every month trying to get them paid off first.  We truly had the battle of wills. 

They kept trying to sabotage my success and I kept getting closer and closer to a zero balance. 

During this war of the wills, they started lowering my available balance causing my credit score to decrease.  In the end, I feel I won.  I got this card paid off first; causing Barclay's to receive the least amount of interest of any of my creditors.

Their way of paying me back was to close my account.  Little did they know they helped me out by doing that, because it was linked to Barnes and Nobles, in which I was enrolled in a book club.  I had tried to cancel the book club when I first joined CareOne so they wouldn't continue to charge me the monthly fee.  They made it impossible to cancel, but by canceling my credit card there was no other way for them to continue to charge me.

I can honestly say that I will never use Barclays again. 

Since then, I did a little research on this company and found that they have had a lot of complaints against them in which 84% were in favor of the customers.  It truly is a company that has some major customer service issues. 

What creditor has been a headache for you?  What are you doing to try to get rid of your nightmare creditor?

Monica Davis, Debt management plan graduate, with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.

Monica Davis

Monica is no stranger to the CareOne Community. As a debt management plan customer (DMP), Monica engaged in our community forums regularly, helping others with questions about the plans. Now that Monica has completed her DMP in just three years, Monica continues to share what made her successful in the forums and now through our blogs. Monica is accustomed to providing support and works as a Communications Officer for an emergency dispatch center in Washington State.  Follow Monica as she shares her tips and insight in the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • i have the same issue with them! and they even gave me the wrong account number,for my debt management prgram. I don't understand why creditors are like this, if anything they would get paid faster, with this program.  Its horrible how much the interest rate is! horrible. i hope that i can pay mine off soon as well.

• It's great that you're getting the word out about this company. The more people become informed and the more they insist on a certain level of service, the lower the chances that companies like Barclays will succeed. Congratulations on eliminating that debt!

• dorinaademi ~ I am so sorry that you also have Barclays!  They are truly the worst creditor I have ever dealt with.  You will get there and be rid of them.  I did it and I know you can too.  I wish you all the best.

• Prudence Debtfree ~ Thank you for your comments.  I agree, being informed about companies that are a nightmare to deal with can be helpful.  I am so happy to never have to deal with them again.  People need to know they hide behind companies as well.  My credit card was a Barnes & Nobles, but they hide behind Juniper and I believe Walmart (not too sure about that one).  Thank you again!!

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment