A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Why You Should Become Debt-free

• Comments 2

D-E-B-T.  It's one of the most dreaded four-letter words in the country these days, and dealing with it often leaves you wishing you could just snap your wallet shut, tell the company "too bad, I'm not forking over my hard-earned cash to you," and move on. 

Since doing that would be a sort of "financial suicide," it might be time to think about taking steps to become debt free. 

Don't you like the sound of "debt FREE?" 

This is the time to make a debt free plan, which means not just thinking about getting out of debt, but actually putting your plan on paper.  Whenever I put something on paper, it makes it real to me.  I can see what I'm trying to do, how I intend to accomplish the task at hand, what it will take, and how long it will take.  If I begin to get off track, I will always have my "debt free plan" written down on paper to refresh me. 

For me, the first and most important reason I wanted to become debt free was for my health and sanity. 

I needed breathing room.  Most days, I was stressed out about my debt but I just didn't know what to do to get rid of it.  It goes without saying that if you pay off the debt then you'll never have to be stressed about it again. But why is this important?

Because debt can be like a black cloud hanging over your head. It affects nearly every decision we make in life, whether it's regarding our careers, our relationships, or our future. Depending on the amount of debt you have, you may even find yourself losing sleep at night, having trouble focusing at work, and pulling away from your personal relationships. 

My debt was causing me great personal shame.

Why would debt do this? Because too many of us feel shame for having debt. But it's time to let go of that shame. So many of us have had to deal with debt at some point and I'd bet if you talk to your friends about it, they'd admit they've been there too. So don't judge yourself or feel ashamed, rather empower yourself to do something about it!

You deserve to have peace of mind and a life without debt.

Secondly, I knew becoming debt free would give me real freedom that I hadn't experienced in years. 

I wouldn't have to worry anymore and I could begin to make decisions based on my hopes and desires rather than on my financial ball and chain.  Imagine a life in which you can choose a career you love-even if the pay isn't as high as other jobs-because you don't have debt payments to make. Or a life in which you can take that trip you've always wanted to go on or save for the home of your dreams-all because you can apply your extra money toward a savings account rather than paying off debt.  That's freedom!

Lastly, I realized that if I could kick my debt to the curb, I could begin to save money and, eventually, look at some investments to put my money to work.  It took a while but I did finally figure out that my mountain of debt was drastically affecting my financial future. 

Carrying that debt was actually costing me money and I wanted to get rid of the burden.  I wanted to stop living paycheck to paycheck. 

I wanted to know that at the end of the month, I would still have money left. 

Enter CareOne and the Debt Management Plan!  I enrolled in the program in November 2010, and not only am I watching my debt decreasing significantly each month, I'm beginning to actually feel a sense of freedom.  I'm saving a bit of money each month and I have a plan on paper to keep me headed for my goal of becoming debt free. 

Not only is my debt decreasing, I have the support of the entire CareOne Community-my own personal cheerleaders to get me to the finish line. 

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blogs! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I just started the program.  I'm already looking forward to watching the "snow ball" effect of bills being paid off.  It's nice to know that at the end of the tunnel is NOT an oncoming train, but true financial freedom.

• Hi LynneSkinner01!  Thanks for reading my blog.  I agree with you - I'm looking forward to the day when I finally reach the end of the tunnel.  Good luck to you!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)