A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Another Credit Card Horror Story

• Comments 2

Ah, FALL IS HERE.  October is time for hobgoblins and horror, and sadly, for some of us, horror can come from a seemingly innocent source...credit cards. 

My credit card horror story dates back many, many years. 

Once upon a time I had excellent, almost impeccable credit.  Never missed a payment, usually paid the entire balance in a month or two. I felt quite secure in my credit-worthiness and would regularly get offers for new cards with ever mounting credit lines. This all seemed wonderful, and I became entranced with the ease of which I could obtain everything from clothing to cars to vacations. 

With this wonderful little wafer of plastic, I could have almost anything money could buy...or "borrow." 

It began slowly, insidiously, and within a few years my plastic keys to the kingdom began to fill up and max out. 

As this happened, my once small manageable payments began to soar, and I realized how much money I was spending each month to pay for items that had long since been used up or forgotten. I recall one day as I had all my credit card statements laid out in front of me, I looked seriously at the balances and then back over the year at what I had purchased. I was aghast to see that so many of the purchases were frivolous or far beyond my means. 

I so well remember a flood of fear and anxiety rush over me as I fully took in the fact that I was now in serious debt.   

The horror gets worse! In desperation, the "big idea" came to me to take out a second mortgage on my house so I could rid myself of the huge monster I was wrestling with. As I look back now, I cringe when I think of how foolish I had been and what little forethought I had used as I accrued this debt and the unwise choice I made to deal with it. 

Ohhh, and the horror gets even WORSE. 

Upon receiving the funds from the second mortgage on my home, I paid all my bills. The first few weeks gave me a great feeling of freedom. BUT, I was a credit card junkie and it wasn't long until I gave in to my "addiction," and began to use them AGAIN!

You know the rest of the story...in a few years, I was right back at square one, staring at a stack of bills on the table, huge monthly payments, high interest rates, and now a second mortgage to boot. I cried!!!!!

Shortly after that, I heard about debt consolidation with CareOne, and made a life changing phone call to hear more about it. 

Now, I really WAS terrified of the mess I had gotten myself in to, and the glitz and glam of paying with credit had truly turned into a feeling of utter horror and despair. That fear and despair quelled my desire to ever use ANYTHING but cash for ANYTHING. 

Once enrolled in the Debt Management Plan, I had ONE manageable payment each month, no more creditors calling, no more sleepless nights. 

Now I'm about half way through my program, and I cannot say enough about what a great choice debt consolidation was.

NOW, I only have horror when I want it, watching a scary movie!!!!

Julie Van Wert, Debt Management Plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Julie Van Wert

I am a Medical Social Worker at a community hospital, living in the great state of California. I am married and have three wonderful children, and three beautiful grandsons, with another grandbaby on the way. My family also includes a miniature Dachshund named Conrad. I love gardening and spending time outdoors, but I equally love doing home decorating projects. I've been enrolled in the Debt Management Plan for just under a year, and that has been a real "turning point" in my financial life. I hope you will follow along with my blogs under A Straight Talk on Debt in the CareOne blogs. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I know this horror story well.....we consolidated all our credit card debt into a personal line of credit when we purchased our first home.  Then we racked up more debt and rolled into the refinance of that same home a few years later.  Then I got into the balance transfer game and the death spiral began.  Isn't it great to see a clear path out of this horror story???

• I have gone through that too! Settled with the credit card companies and they sent me new cards to run up. I could kick myself for getting back into debt. I have made my first payment with CareOne and I'm looking forward to watching the "snow ball effect" as creditors are being paid off

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)