Getting ahead for 2014: Starting my Budget Now

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Getting ahead for 2014: Starting my Budget Now

Rate This
  • Comments 1

What is the best way to prepare for the upcoming year?  What I have found that works for me is to start my budget for the next year early.  

I am taking a look at my 2013 budget and seeing which months my budget worked out great, and which months I didn't meet my budget.  

What I have learned about budgeting is that I have to make adjustments as things in life change.  

I started my budget last year great and as it got later in the year, I not only started slacking a bit, but things also changed around me and I didn't keep up by adjusting my budget to fit the new needs.

The first five months I was able to keep up and adjust my budget as needed. My emergency fund was growing, my savings were growing, and I was still able to move my daughter (Nicole) to another state. I was even able to take my mom on a vacation and visit Nicole.  

So what happened the last half of the year?

While my mom and I were on vacation her health started deteriorating. Not a lot, but enough to where Nicole and I were able to take notice and talk about it.  Once we got back, her physical and mental health continued to spiral downwards, which meant she was going to need more financial help than before.

Guess what? As her health continued to go down, I started slacking on my budgeting. That was not a responsible way to help my mom.  

My emergency fund is now low and my savings is not where I want it to be.

Thank goodness I get another chance to do it right.  

I have decided that I am going to budget for three months at a time. I am going to slowly rebuild my savings and emergency fund.  

I am taking back control over my financial health.

I want that feeling of being in control and being successful back, and I am the only person who can achieve that!  

So remember, even when life around you feels out of control, you still have to continue to take care of your physical, mental, and financial health. Otherwise, it starts to feel like life is out of control and you set yourself up for feelings of failure. No, it won't be perfect, but never give up and never give in.

Are you ready for 2014?  

Have you started your budget?  

Set yourself up for success, even if it is in small steps.

Monica Davis, Debt management plan graduate, with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Monica Davis

Monica is no stranger to the CareOne Community. As a debt management plan customer (DMP), Monica engaged in our community forums regularly, helping others with questions about the plans. Now that Monica has completed her DMP in just three years, Monica continues to share what made her successful in the forums and now through our blogs. Monica is accustomed to providing support and works as a Communications Officer for an emergency dispatch center in Washington State.  Follow Monica as she shares her tips and insight in the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • No other platform can gives you entertainment like this euchre card game. You don't know about this so am sharing this Homepage for you to learn and get to know what are the different advantages and exciting level are available to enjoy free and online.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)