Hustling Extra Cash (Part 4): Creative Ways to Sell Your Stuff

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Hustling Extra Cash (Part 4): Creative Ways to Sell Your Stuff

• Comments 3

From raid my closet parties, to smartphone apps, to virtual garage sales and more.

Here are 11 creative ways to hustle some extra cash and clean house at the same time.

Ex-Boyfriend Jewelry

"You don't want it. He can't have it back."

That's the tag-line for the quirky site Exboyfriend Jewelry, which requires sellers to post their tragic tale of breakup (and pay $1.99) in order to list their used jewelry for sale.

Cross-Sell

If you're divesting yourself of a lot of things, advise buyers that you have more where that came from. If you're selling locally, when the buyer arrives to pick up the item, they can peruse your other things and may well leave with some extras. This was key when I sold everything I owned to travel full-time.

Hit up Colleges

College students are always up for a good deal, especially if they're setting up shop at the beginning of the year. Where possible, post flyers in college neighborhoods, and visit online college forums (which often have classified listings).

Raid My Closet Party

It's simple, yet effective - especially for the ladies. Have a party, serve a few drinks and snacks, and let your guests raid your closet for new treasure.

Poshmark

Attend a national "Raid My Closet" style party on your smartphone! Poshmark is a smartphone app that allows you to list items in your closet for sale, then attend themed "parties" to buy and sell. Poshmark takes care of shipping by sending you a pre-paid label.

Living Estate Sale

If you want to sell everything but don't want the headache, you can have a living estate sale. This is a service offered whereby a living estate sale company catalogs and auctions everything off; taking care of finding buyers, collecting payments, and arranging delivery/pick-up.

Recycle Your Fashions

Got some designer clothing that is in good condition but not your style any more? Recycle Your Fashions is an online consignment store for your lightly loved designer duds.

Cash4Books

Cash4Books is especially useful for selling textbooks; but try entering the ISBNs for any and all books you'd like to sell and see what happens.

Virtual Garage Sale

Create a (free) website or blog that lists everything you have for sale, then promote the site locally with flyers, and online to your contacts. You can also use the site as a referral point for eBay and Craigslist listings, which will give buyers more information, as well as open up cross-selling opportunities.

Visit Specialty Forums

When it comes to specialty items (like fishing, climbing, or biking gear), you need to target buyers who know the value of what you have. Many online forums have classified sections; they're a great place to find appreciative buyers.

Facebook

Depending on the breadth and depth of your connections, you can sell stuff by simply posting a Facebook status update. To access a wider audience, look for appropriate Facebook groups and classifieds by doing "buy or sell" searches in your geographic area.

Have you sold your stuff using creative or quirky methods? Please share in the comments!

RELATED POSTS

Hustling Extra Cash (Part 1): Renting Out Spare Space to Travelers

Hustling Extra Cash (Part 2): Become a Tour Guide in Your Home Town

Hustling Extra Cash (Part 3): Creative Ways to Make Money Online

Nora Dunn, travel and lifestyle expert guest blogger for leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Nora Dunn

Nora Dunn is The Professional Hobo: a full-time traveler and freelance writer. She is a contributing writer under the CareOne Debt Relief Services A Straight Talk on Debt blog. Having sold her business and belongings to travel, she has been on the road since 2007. She travels in a financially sustainable manner, taking advantage of creative volunteering positions. As a former certified Financial Planner, she is financially responsible for her actions along the way. She believes there is a fine balance between planning for tomorrow, and living for today. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow Nora on Twitter click here!

To connect with Nora Dunn on Google + please click Nora Dunn

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Awesome ideas!  I'm always looking for more ways to make some money.  My wife and I like to hit up the local goodwills and find items we can sell on eBay, or even just take over to Buffalo Exchange for a quick turnaround.  Especially after getting up early and going on the discounted days!  I keep my Facebook friend list pretty trimmed, but I've seen a lot of friends make a quick pretty penny by selling things on Facebook!  Keep coming with the awesome ideas and keep up the great work!

• Pertaining to the article, we are able provide all of you needs selling <a href="www.luriya.com"> gold and diamonds in NYC </a>. Our trained professionals will assist in all your jewelry and watch selling without worry and minimal hassle. Located in the diamond district, our mission at Luriya is to provide customers with the best prices for your jewelry or watches, along with a pristine customer service. We offer walk-ins, appointments, and mail-in kits, and live-chats to potential sellers of gold and precious metals. Give us a call at (212) 567-0025 or visit our website to see why Luriya's commitment to our customers continues to rank us as the very best in buying your gold and diamonds.

www.luriya.com

• I would love to buy pre-owned watches directly from a private seller as I am a collector and no a dealer. Thus, I can pay much more for a timepiece and I value it much more. Every watch gets its nice place in my collection. Plus, I am collector really wearing the watches I own. I do not lock them away in the vault. I use them although I use them very carefully.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)