A Frugal Secret: Bakery Thrift Stores

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

A Frugal Secret: Bakery Thrift Stores

• Comments 4

Have you ever shopped at a bakery thrift store?  If not, you are missing a wonderful opportunity to get the same bread, rolls and sweets as you buy at the grocery store for dramatically reduced prices. 

I shop at a Pepperidge Farms outlet that is located in a liquor store in our community.

Never would I have gone in search of bakery goods in a liquor store but a friend tipped me off. 

She told me the weekly delivery day is Tuesday, so get there early because the goods go fast. I can buy a loaf of delicious Pepperidge Farms whole grain bread for 99 cents. There are lots to choose from:  Rye, Whole Wheat, and Soft Honey Whole Wheat, 15-Grain, Oatmeal, Soft Honey Oat, Double Fiber, Ancient Grains, Sourdough and more. 

In addition, I often get dinner rolls, sandwich buns, deli flats, bagels, English muffins, and party breads for just 99 cents each. 

Finding out where your closest bakery thrift store is located is definitely worth the trouble and your savings will amaze you.

What is a bakery thrift store? Don't worry; it isn't a place where used second-hand bread is sold! Instead it is a great place, where you can purchase high quality, fresh bread and bakery products that are generally 50 percent or more off of the prices for the same products that are sold in the stores.

What is sold at a bakery thrift store? Basically, you can find any fresh baked goods that you would normally find at your regular grocery store. The thrift stores sell all of the overruns of popular products. In other words, if the bakery makes more baked goods than the stores buy, well then the extras wind up at the bakery thrift stores.

Most bakery thrift stores are owned by a specific well-known commercial bakery, such as Pepperidge Farm. They generally don't advertise their existence.

You can find these thrift stores in the telephone book or by word of mouth.  

Here are some tips to take with you when you go shopping at a bakery thrift store.

1. Find out when fresh goods are delivered. This could be every day or two or three times a week. It all depends. Shopping on these days ensures that you get the very freshest selection.

2. Shop on sale days. You can get amazing deals on sale days, such as 12 cent loaves of bread, pies for a dollar or less, and boxes of cookies for just 50 cents.

3. Stock up. Purchase as much as you can afford and carry. Baked goods freeze amazingly well, so it pays to stock up when you find the good deals. Just take your treasure home and stick it in the freezer. For bread, I don't even take it out of the original wrapper. To defrost, just place on the counter for a few hours or wrap a couple of slices in a paper towel and microwave for a few seconds.

With my bakery thrift store bread in the freezer, I never run out of bread.  I don't have to make a "quick" trip to the grocery store to pick up a loaf of bread which was always happening to me before Pepperidge Farms started their mini thrift store in my community. 

Those quick trips usually cost me much more than a loaf of bread because I always picked up other things as well - impulse shopping. 

If you want to save money that can be used elsewhere in your budget, find a bakery thrift store. 

Once you do, you will never buy bakery goods at the grocery store again. 

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blogs! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • There used to be a Pepperidge Farm Outlet store near my house and I would go there all the time.  The deals were amazing and hey didn't just sell the bread and cookies.  They sold soups, frozen foods, all kinds of stuff.  I was so disappointed when they closed.

• I love regular thrift stores.  I love food.  Bakery thrift stores sound like my dream shop.  I'm going to have to definitely check out my area to see if there are any.  Thanks for letting me know these existed!  I literally had no idea, and now I want it to be tomorrow so I can go shop at one.

• Hi sugarmanolia131!  Actually, the Pepperidge Farm Outlet in my town started out in a Save-A-Lot grocery store.  After a time, Save-A-Lot Corporate made the local store manager drop delvery from Pepperidge Farm.  Like you, I was very disappointed and really hated going back to paying over $2.00 a loaf for bread that didn't compare in quality.  About six months later, my friend told me that Pepperidge Farm was being sold at the liquor store and I was so excited.  Maybe, the outlet store near your house will relocate some place close in a few months.

• Hello Ryan and thanks for looking at my Blog.  I hope you are able to locate a bakery thrift store in your area.  They are great for quality bakery goods at low, low prices.  The stock changes rapidly, as well, so you never find the same things.  Just this past week, at the Pepperidge Farm thrift store I picked up a loaf of "Limited Edition" gingerbread.  It is really good and I love to toast a piece and have a cup of hot cocoa with it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment