Communication: We've Come Full Circle

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Communication: We've Come Full Circle

Rate This
  • Comments 1

When I look back, 2013 will be the year where all the pieces fit, and we really got our act together with respect to our finances. 

Vonnie and I have worked to improve our financial communication ever since we enrolled in our debt consolidation plan in 2009.  We got incrementally better as the months passed, but it was still hard to sit down and discuss the finances when things were tough. 

Knowing that money was tight, I would just plug my ears, close my eyes and hope that it would go away.  Have you ever not updated your checkbook register for such a long time that you just turn the page, write down the current balance and start over?

Been there, done that.   

At some point in 2013 the light bulb finally came on.  We realized that talking about money isn't scary.  What's scary is NOT talking about money.  An example of our progress involves those pump bottles of foamy soap.  Sounds corny but let me explain.

A few weeks ago we got a flyer in the mail from one of Vonnie's favorite stores in the mall where she buys those soap pumpers for our bathrooms and kitchen.  The flyer was advertising a sale for the holiday themed soaps that she likes to get this time of year.

"Can we go over our budget again?" she asked, "I'd like to discuss the possibility of taking advantage of this sale."

This was pure awesomeness for a couple of reasons:

• She didn't just get in the car, drive to the mall and purchase the soaps, and then hand me the receipt when she got home.
  • We talked about where we were at with our weekly discretionary spending, what we had planned on buying with that money and adjusted things accordingly to make it possible to purchase the soaps without negatively impacting the rest of our spending plans.

When I look back at 2013, I realize that we've really come full circle. 

My very first blog post talked about lack of communication regarding our finances as being the root problem that got us to the point where we needed the help of a debt consolidation program to get our finances back on track.  Here we are, over 4 years later finding that communication is exactly what will make us successful as we move forward.

What's the biggest obstacle to you getting YOUR finances back on track?  What are you doing to fix it?

Related Links:

How I Began My Journey Out of Debt

Long Distance Budget

The Art of Communication About Money

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • How to play this scrabble word Board game free and without download? I was searching for this and like to say thank you very much for this entertaining Homepage. I like playing this again and again.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)