We Will Celebrate Completing Our Debt Consolidation Program by...Waiting!

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

We Will Celebrate Completing Our Debt Consolidation Program by...Waiting!

Rate This
  • Comments 7

Happy New Year!

It's the beginning of a new month and a new year.  I'm feeling a little extra special something on this January 1st because I know that 2014 is going to be a great year.  

Let me rephrase that:  2014 is most definitely going to be a spectacular year.

2014 is the year that we finish our debt consolidation program.

On February 28th, we will make our 56th and final payment, and then that huge sum of money that has been going to debt consolidation will go into our pocket each month. 

The excitement has been building in our home for months.  However, there's also that tiny piece of doubt and concern that creeps into my consciousness.  That little piece of me wonders what will happen once we make that last payment. Will we be able continue doing what we've been doing, living within our means and working towards our eventual goal of total financial freedom?  Or are we going take on a perspective that we have all this extra cash so we don't have to be as structured as we have been over the last four and a half years? 

When we tell people how close we are to completing the program, we usually get asked what we're going to do to celebrate, or specifically, "When's the party?"  We've been asked so many times that we've decided to give in.  We are actually going to celebrate by having a party, but it won't be February, or March, or even April.  It will be on Memorial Day Weekend at the end of May.

Our celebratory party will be a full three months after our graduation so we can save for it.

We certainly want to celebrate our accomplishments, and acknowledge our friends and family that have stood with us, encouraged us, and supported us through our journey.  Since such a large percentage of our monthly funds have gone toward our debt consolidation program payment each month, and we are just finishing up the holiday season, we need time to save the funds for our celebration.

Delayed gratification is just one of the many lessons we've learned, and habits we've developed while being enrolled in our debt consolidation program.  It seems perfect in a way that we wait to hold our celebration. 

I can't wait to share details with you about our celebration!

How do you plan to celebrate when you make your last payment?

Related Links: 

Counting the Months to DMP Graduation!

Missing My DMP Deadline

Halfway Home!

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • WAY TO GO TRAVIS!  I can feel your excitement in every word you put on the page.  I know this has been a long journey but now the end is so very, very near - I wish you much luck as February 28th approaches and after.

• This month will be the end of over five years of paying on Chase.  I will celebrate with a bottle of inexpensive champagne.  Maybe I'll run--while screaming my delight--down the road!

• Thanks for being excited with us, tiquie,  I can't believe we're almost there!  Thanks for all your support over the last few years, it has been very much appreciated!

• Congrats on paying off Chase, Twug!!!! Hey running down the street spraying a bottle of inexpensive champagne yelling and screaming sounds like a great way of celebrating - maybe I'll do the same thing!  (I'll let my neighbors know ahead of time, though....just so they don't think I'm nuts...LOL)

• I'm a mere 6 months away from finishing with CareOne, but I then have to pay off a loan from a family member.  My finale will occur in September of this year and the following month I will be celebrating by spending a day at my favorite spa.  Then it's right back on track by putting my former debt payment into a savings account for things like a car, house, vacations, etc.  I'll do a celebration with you on February 28th and raise a glass of wine.  Congratulations!!!!

• Thanks for the well wishes, sugarmagnolia131!  We have some additional debt to pay off after we're done with the program as well.....but the difference is it will be completely under OUR control!!!  congrats to you for being so close to being done as well....thanks for celebrating with us!

• In these tough economic times, financial troubles can happen quite easily One day your holding your own with your debt and the next day you are faced with an economic situation that may be a result of a change in marketplace or your own financial circumstances.

In an instant your high confidence level and security about your finances can be shot down into oblivion and worry about the outcome. When it feels as though you are facing trouble and you start to see your credit score fall as payments are unable to be paid, a debt consolidation loan, may have popped into your mind.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment