Staying Active is the Key to Success with Your Debt Consolidation Plan

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Staying Active is the Key to Success with Your Debt Consolidation Plan

• Comments 1

If you have a gym membership, you may have noticed the facilities are a little busier recently.  It's the usual beginning of the year phenomenon, as people try to fulfill their New Year's resolutions to get in better shape or lose weight.

The first few weeks of the year are filled with good intentions.

Unfortunately, by the end of the month the gym has mostly returned back to business as usual, with most of those people with good intentions visiting less and less often, if at all.  Just signing up for a gym membership will not get you in shape; you have to actually use the membership.

Another popular goal for the New Year is to do better with finances.  For some people that means saving more, or cutting out some unnecessary expense.  For others experiencing more dire financial hardship, it's a little more serious. 

They may decide to take the step to enroll in a debt consolidation program.

If a person's goal is to save more money, or stop wasting their money on a perceived unnecessary expense, they have to take action to achieve their goal. 

Only we as individuals, can guarantee success through hard work and determination.

Over the last four and a half years I've learned that being enrolled in a debt consolidation program requires similar action. 

Just enrolling in the program is not enough; action by us as enrollees is simply a necessity.

1.) Before formally enrolling, I called my creditors and changed my due dates to be between 5 and 10 business days after my CareOne payment date.

2.) After my proposals were sent, I called my creditors almost daily asking if they had received the proposal and when they would act on it.

3.) I have checked the statements from every one of my creditors every month since we enrolled to ensure not only that my payment had been received, but that it had been received on time. To be honest with you, this is simply a double check, because I log into my accounts online a few days after my CareOne payment has been dispersed to ensure the payment has posted.

4.) Every three months I update my balances within the MyCareOne online tools so that the information in the tools is as accurate as possible.

5.) Whenever a creditor is paid off, I call CareOne to notify them of the pay off, and to which line of credit to apply the extra funds for future payments.

My debt consolidation program is not a set it and forget it program.  I learned early that I need to continue to be involved for the duration of the program to ensure my success.

Are you as active as you should be with your debt consolidation program?

Related Links:

Supporting my Success with MyCareOne Online Tools

Success on a Debt Management Plan

Challenge Yourself to Success

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • This time I'd like to talk about things that I did each and every month to make sure that everything was on track and running smoothly.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)