With the new year comes new opportunities for positive changes in yourself and your life style.   I'm not talking about New Year's resolutions because, if you are even remotely like me, those resolutions usually don't make it to the end of January. 

I'm talking about taking the things you really, really have trouble dealing with and figuring out how to turn the negatives into positives.

Think of it this way - you are the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of your company which is you and your life.  What are the functions of a CEO?  To keep things running smoothly and take care of problems efficiently and quickly.  CEO's are expected to increase the company's financial situation and take advantage of ways to help the company grow.

The difference in a real CEO and yourself is that you don't get paid big bucks to do your job.  However, putting on your CEO hat and determining to make 2014 your big success year may be just the jump start you need to turn your company around.  

It's a big job but someone has to do it, right? 

How?  Start by FOCUSING on the changes you feel you may be able to make quickly.  Don't take on too much at first.  All CEO's love charts and graphs and you should not be any different.  Chart your way to success by listing problem areas and ideas to improve upon them.  Make notes of the ideas you tried and how things worked out. 

If one of your problem areas is lack of a savings strategy, put one together. 

Be creative and stick to the plan of action.  The economists say you should pay yourself first before spending a single cent of your paycheck.  Okay, it sounds good and maybe you can do this.  However, if you can't, figure out other ways to save like challenging yourself to save some money every day.  For example, when paying by cash and you get change back don't spend it.  Put it in a special place, not to be touched.  You will be amazed at how quickly your money grows.   Skip eating a meal out and put the money you would have spent in your special place.  

As CEO, it's up to you to make the plan work. 

You will need to be diligent and NEVER stop working toward your goal. 

CEO's believe they can succeed and you need to adopt this attitude as well.  After all, if you don't believe in yourself, who will?  Of course, there will be set backs but learn to view them as temporary instead of permanent.  Next time you're dwelling on all that's going wrong, ask yourself, how does this setback make me stronger, smarter, or clearer about what I want? Once you do, you'll be on your way to relying on your own resourcefulness to achieve your heart's desires.

Resolve to make 2014 the best it can be - I wish you luck!

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.