Do You Tell People You Are in a Debt Consolidation Program?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Do You Tell People You Are in a Debt Consolidation Program?

• Comments 2

Enrolling in a debt consolidation program was a difficult decision.  

I can say now that it was the best financial decision my wife and I have ever made, but at the time it wasn't so cut and dried. Although I'm rather transparent about our journey here in the CareOne Community, we kept it a secret from our friends and family for a very long time. 

Although we eventually did tell some people very close to us, we opted to not make it common knowledge to everyone. 

However, there were some that discovered our situation quite by accident.

1.) The Need to Borrow Money : There was a time when we needed new tires and brakes on our van, and we did not have the funds to do the repairs. We called my mother-in-law for help, which she was happy to do after we told her why we were having financial issues that would cause us not to have the ability to fix our van.

2.) Deposit For a Hotel Stay: Two years ago we worked hard to save up for a short mid-winter vacation with several couples from our neighborhood. When we called to reserve our hotel room, the hotel representative told us they would need a credit card to hold a $1000 deposit. We had to hang up, and ask our neighbors to make the reservation. After seeing the confused look on their faces, we told them our situation, including the fact that we did not have a credit card to use for such a purpose, and we didn't have the ability to have that much of our checking account funds held.

3.) Twitter : I have a twitter account with which I broadcast links of my favorite personal finance articles, my own blog posts, as well as share our personal financial challenges and successes. I was nervous when I saw that one of my coworkers had followed me, and likely had read some of my articles.

4.) Blog Post Hits the Big Time : I did an interview for a website telling our get out of debt story, which was then picked up by Yahoo Finance. I found this out when another one of my coworkers came in my office one morning and told me he had seen me on the front page of Yahoo.

5.) Web Searches : I got a call from my mother just recently, in which she told me she found something on the internet the night before that made her very worried about me. She just happened to plug my name into Google, and found a post I wrote that included how much debt we had accumulated.

I shouldn't be surprised in the least at the last three. 

If I'm going to write about my experiences with debt, I should expect people to run across my articles. The thing that all five of these experiences have in common is that they resulted in a very positive and supportive conversations. 

Every time our situation has been exposed, I've wondered why haven't been more forthcoming in telling the people in our lives what we're going through.

Have you told people that you are enrolled in a debt consolidation program? How did it go for you?  

Related Links:

The Four Phases of a Debt Consolidation Plan

You Can't Succeed Until You Are Ready to Change!

Are You Ready to do What it Takes to Get Out of Debt?

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • We've told some close friends, mostly so they understand why we're begging off their plans to, say, head for the beach for a long weekend.  People are surprisingly supportive!

• Glad to hear it your friends are supportive, connorsp!  For the longest time I viewed telling people we were in a debt relief program as telling them we were having financial problems...but the flip side is that what you're really telling people is that you're taking responsibility for your finances and working to make things BETTER.  Thanks for commenting!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)