One of the things I wanted to do after retirement was take time to relax and laugh a lot. I understand that laughter is very good for you health wise - a money saver that we can practice as often and as heartily as we want. 

Seems laughter promotes heart health by reducing stress which may increase longevity. 

I really did read this in a monthly publication I receive from my health insurance provider. 

Our home just happens to be located on a street that has more retirees living there than young families. We are mostly from the "front porch sitter" generation. Do you remember sitting or swinging on your front porch around dusk while the neighbors congregated round. I remember and how I loved to hear them tell stories about themselves. The men were especially funny remembering their youth but the women had good stories too.

Sometimes, they would all start singing old songs and a few would actually dance. Everyone brought something to share - lemonade, cookies, popcorn balls - lots of super good stuff. This could go on until 10 or so which was timed with when their houses cooled down from the summer heat. No central air conditioning in those times and most did not even have a window fan.

Well, back to now and our street. I don't know how it started but once a month in the summer and fall, we have a party for ages 50 and up. 

No invitations go out, a menu is not planned and alcohol is not permitted. It is always the 3rd Saturday of the month and word of mouth brings a crowd of party goers looking for a good time. Just like the "good old days" everyone brings something to share and a lawn chair or a blanket to sit on. There's no menu but we do always have a grill because hot dogs and hamburgers are always donated. We have music - some of the guys used to play in bands and have sort of formed an informal band that plays, of course, only music from the 50's and 60's. 

We have a varied group - a few old Harley bikers, married couples and singles, story tellers and listeners and always a loud mouth who keeps the party going. It is great fun and we never know who is going to show up because our group has a reputation now and we have party crashers who want to get in on the fun. 

The only criteria is that they must be 50 or older - there will be no generation gap here!  Yes, we even card new comers just for fun.

Our 50's party started out in back yards.  Once it caught on and started to grow, we decided to move the party to a larger spot - our "farmette" (3 acres just outside the city limits of town).  We also have a 20-year old motorhome there with all the comforts of our town home.  Since we are out-of-town, we can make as much noise as we want, have a big bonfire and stay as late as we want. 

All I can say is this is a real "hoot" and we all look forward to the monthly party. It is a wonderful example of being creative and frugal in your retirement years. You don't have to spend a lot of money for entertainment - just think out of the box. Frugal retirement living requires creativity and a personal resolve to save money without compromising your lifestyle.   

Our monthly 50's & 60's party costs us on average $20.00 per party or, $10.00 each. Not bad when you get all you want to eat and drink plus entertainment with no cover charge!

Let me know if you start a 50's and older party and how it works out.

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.