Do You Remember How You Felt When You Enrolled in a Debt Consolidation Plan?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Do You Remember How You Felt When You Enrolled in a Debt Consolidation Plan?

• Comments 2

January 31st, 2014 was a very emotional day. At 8:00am I dialed CareOne's number and initiated the final payment to our debt consolidation plan. Right before I picked up the phone, I posted the following status to my Facebook account:

"Making a phone call that will change our lives...."

That payment completely eliminated the $109,000 of credit card debt that we enrolled in the program. I was filled with disbelief, excitement, and hope. Disbelief that we were finally done. Excitement and hope for what the future holds for my family and me now that the debt was gone, and with Vonnie and me working as a team to get our finances back on track.

It reminded me a lot of a phone call I made on July 1st, 2009. 

That was the day I enrolled in the debt consolidation program. I had spent countless hours during the week leading up to that day reading thread after thread in the CareOne Community trying to get a handle on the overall voice of the customer base. 

I was trying to determine whether debt consolidation was the right choice for us.

At 8:30pm, my wife and I officially enrolled in the debt consolidation plan filled with disbelief, excitement, hope, and fear. Disbelief that our finances had gotten that far out of hand, excitement and hope that we may have found a solution to help us get our lives back. But fear of the unknown of what the future would hold for us if this program didn't work, and we would still be left with the burden of $109,000 of debt and no way out.

I will remember how I felt making both of those phone calls for the rest of my life. 

Both of them were phone calls that changed my life. If you read the description of the emotions described at the time of the calls, you'll note they are very similar but there is one very distinct difference.

The fear is gone.

No longer do I stare at the ceiling wondering where the money is going to come to meet all our financial commitments. I no longer sit in front of my computer at night transferring balances between credit cards trying to reduce our monthly payments, or applying for new lines of credit. There is no longer any fear about what the future holds, only excitement.

The debt consolidation program made sure of that.

Do you remember how you felt on the day you enrolled? How do you feel now?

Related Links:

We Are DONE With Our Debt Consolidation Program!

How I Began My Journey Out of Debt

What Financial Freedom Means to me

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Yes, I am one of the graduates for the month of March.  Actually I finished this April 21st… right before my 60 birthday.  I want to say that I took a chance, back in 2010…meaning that I was desperate at the time I chose to trust CareOne.  Here it is three plus years later and I am happy to tell the world that I am debt free…almost.  I still have a couple of small things to take care of, but life is looking so much better and I wish to extend my deepest thanks.  I believed in you and you delivered…halleluiah…life is good

• Congrats on completing the program, verymery - I know how awesome it feels to have that monkey off your back!!!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)