Have My Financial Habits Changed Now That I'm Done With My Debt Consolidation Program?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Have My Financial Habits Changed Now That I'm Done With My Debt Consolidation Program?

• Comments 2

It's something I used to do several times a month, but I've only done it once or twice since we completed our debt management program at the end of January. 

I used to do mystery shopping jobs to generate extra income.

It wasn't a large amount of extra cash, usually $50 to $80 per month, but the check that showed up in the mail was always appreciated. One shop even gave our family a night's getaway at a hotel and breakfast in the morning. But my favorite ones were the shops at a local buffalo wing restaurant. I'd sign up for a shop on a Friday or Saturday night, then call up my wife and ask her out on a date. She'd giggle, knowing exactly what was going on.

With our budget being tight, mystery shopping allowed us to have date night for free.

I haven't done mystery shopping for months, and I'm trying to figure out the reason why. They certainly didn't take much time. I've stopped at the nutrition shop and cell phone store on my way home from work more times than I can count. It's not that they're for restaurants that we don't normally go to. In fact, we were sitting in that very same buffalo wing restaurant recently when my wife made a comment to the effect that we hadn't done a mystery shop there for a while.

Maybe it's because I feel like mystery shopping was an activity I did only because our budget was tight. Now that we've completed our program and we're a little more comfortable, maybe I'm subconsciously saying that part of my life is over, and I shouldn't have to do mystery shopping any more. If that's it, that's a stupid reason. 

Regardless of how much money a person has, finding a way to earn a little extra cash or save a little money on a meal at a restaurant is always a good thing.

I certainly don't want this sort of behavior to be the start of a downward slide away from the habits and perspective I've worked so hard to build over the last five years. I don't want to find myself no longer meal planning and taking my calculator to the grocery store to ensure I stay on budget. I don't want to find myself starting to skip weekly budget meetings with my wife. I want to keep doing exactly the things I have been doing that have grown into being able to successfully manage my finances, and be efficient and purposeful with the funds that I have.

I checked the job board for the mystery shopping service I use the most and found there's a shop open for this weekend at our favorite wing restaurant. 

Looks like I'll be asking my wife out on date.

Is there anything you've stopped doing to earn or save money once you completed your debt relief program? How do you feel about that?

Related Links:

I am Obsessed With Mystery Shopping!

We Are DONE With Our Debt Consolidation Program!

How long do You Spend on Your Finances Each Week?

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the following link;

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • If you looked at your mortgage in the same way that you looked at your credit card debt, would you still be doing everything you did while you were in your debt relief program? Now that you don't have $100,000 in cc debt, you are in a position to do some serious damage to that mortgage. Enjoy your date!

• @Prudence, great comment.....we are planning to pay extra to our mortgage each month in order to pay it off early (we're currently targeting 20 yrs instead of 30).  I have to admit that we do not view our mortgage the same way as our CC debt, even though over the life of the mortgage we'll be paying a ton of money in interest.  Maybe it's time for a change in perspective!  :)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)