For me, any grocery store offering sales of 10 for $10.00 will find me a willing customer. Why? Because I'm finding that these stores are often offering name brand items that I regularly use and, if purchased at the regular price, would be quite pricey in quantities of 10. 

Another reason I love the 10 for $10.00 sales is that I can often try an item I would not usually buy due to the regular price. 

However, I'm quite willing to spend $1.00 to find out if I like the product or not and whether or not I would consider buying it again. 

Before you start making piles of 10 in your shopping cart, be sure you know the rules. Can you get the sale price ($1.00 per item) if you don't want 10? Can you combine different items to total 10 and get them for $10.00? I have shopped at stores where they just won't allow this and require that you buy 10 of the same item to get the $1.00 each price. 

If I can combine products in groups of 10 and purchase them for $10.00, I feel I'm getting quite a bargain. 

For example, just last week I picked up 5 packages of 120-count napkins and 5 1-pound boxes of spaghetti for $10.00. I didn't need or want 10 of each which would have cost me $20.00 but by combining the two products, I was able to save some money plus have product I could put on my pantry shelves for later use. That's called "stocking up" for a rainy day. 

At times, I do buy the 10 for $10.00 of just one product, especially if it is something we use often. We often have biscuits and gravy for breakfast so when Grand's biscuits were offered 10 for $10.00, I bought 10. I did the same for Kraft salad dressings. My favorite dressing is Poppy Seed and my husband prefers either Ranch or Italian. So, with the 10 for $10.00 I was able to pick up an assortment that we both like.

When mini individual serving frozen pizzas were offered at the 10 for $10.00, I stocked up and spent $20.00. Philadelphia brand Cream cheese was on sale 10 for $10.00 and I actually bought 30 packages. We love cream cheese and I make several dishes that include cream cheese in the ingredients. 

Of course, this type of shopping can throw me off my grocery budget if I'm not planning carefully. 

I also have to be able to overcome the power of suggestion while in the store. Seeing all those 10 for $10.00 signs makes me want to grab 10 of everything because "It Must Be a Bargain"!! Or, I find myself thinking, "Well, I don't need ten so I'll just grab three" when all I really need is one. It's a slippery slope and bargain shopping mania can take over quickly. Do you get the picture? 

I have to be careful not to overspend due to that high quantity, low unit cost deals. It's a real temptation that I must admit I have lost the battle over several times.

If you think you're strong, then just arm yourself with a shopping list and a shopping budget each time you shop and make sure you're sticking to both the list and the budget, more or less. Be strong -- don't turn away from screaming deals on things you use up fast in your home. But be sensible and turn those deals into advantages for you. They're designed to help the stores make more money.  

Just make sure it isn't at your expense.

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc.Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.