What Does Stocking up Mean to You?

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

What Does Stocking up Mean to You?

• Comments 2

It's the phrase that popped into my head recently when I came across a fantastic sale on charcoal. Twin packs of grill fuel shrink wrapped together for the usual price of a single bag. It's a phrase that maybe you've used once or twice as well.

But what does stocking up really mean?

Generally speaking it means buying more of a product than one would normally because of the great price. I was planning on only buying one bag of charcoal that day, so technically buying anything more than one would have been "stocking up." But I had bigger plans than that.. 

I had visions of turning my garage into a charcoal warehouse.

I smiled at the thought of telling an employee to get a fork truck and bring the whole pallet up to the checkout counter for me. I quickly came back to reality and remembered I had a grocery budget I had to stay within. I threw one twin pack in the cart and completed my shopping.  After checking out, I found that I was under budget by enough to get a second twin pack. 

When I got home, I told my wife about the great sale, and that we should try to get more if we could.  I was determined to find ways to take full advantage of the sale.

• A few days later I filled up our car with gas, but didn't use our full gasoline budget. I stopped by and bought another twin pack.
  • We made some choices with our entertainment activities aimed at having some left over funds. Two more twin packs placed neatly in my garage.
  • The following weekend I again made room in the grocery budget, and more charcoal got a ride home with me.

In all, 8 twin packs (16 bags total) of charcoal were purchased before the inventory ran out.  I wish I had more time, or I would have squeezed the budget even more.  It was a fantastic sale, and I feel great about the fact that I was able to stock up, without busting my budget.

What does "stocking up" mean to you? 

Related Links: 

Save Money With an Open Grill Potluck

DIY Smoker Improvements

Economic Downsizing; Now It's Personal

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Target frequently has toilet paper on sale. If you get two packs of a certain size, you get the sale price AND they give you a $5 gift card. Combine the sale price with a coupon and it is a really good deal. Then save the gift card for the next sale. Use a coupon and the gift card to make it a fabulous price and then get another gift card again. This cycle can almost be never ending. And toilet paper never expires.

• Great tip, @Kathy!  I typically buy my toilet paper from Costco, but it's worth comparing and seeing which is the better deal - thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)