I didn't think anything of it at the time. It seemed like a reasonable course of action. But later I would find out that Old Navy didn't do us any favors that day.

The store was having a sale on active wear, and both my wife and I needed some new workout clothes. After we had paid for our purchase, the cashier informed us that we had earned $20 in Super Cash. She went on to explain the coupons could be used during a certain range of dates which started about two weeks later. If we purchased $50 or more, we could use our Super Cash and save $20. 

Doing some quick math in my head, I calculated that would be a 40% discount if our purchase was exactly $50. Not bad at all.

She then handed us two $10 Super Cash vouchers, stating that they were out of the $20 coupons. It seemed equal at the time, but I would later find out that it wasn't equal at all.

Fast forward three weeks, and we found ourselves on the last day that the Super Cash was redeemable. Vonnie really liked the workout clothes she had purchased and wanted to use the coupons to get more.  Unfortunately, when we called the store, they didn't have her size in stock. They recommended that we check online.

We browsed the site, selecting the items that my wife wanted to order. We were happy to also find out that standard shipping was free for orders over $50. We joked about how perfectly this was working out. Our bill was going to be barely over $50 which would qualify us for both the use of our Super Cash AND for the free shipping.

It was during the checkout process that we ran into a snag.

We were only able to enter the redemption code for one of our $10 vouchers. I flipped one of the vouchers over and discovered in the fine print that only one coupon could be used per transaction. The good news was, I had an online voucher for $20 Super Cash. I had order some compression shorts online at the time of our original shopping trip since they didn't have them in store. I dug out my email and plugged in that code instead.

We got our $20 discount and our free shipping.

There are quite a few retailers that do promotions similar to Old Navy's Super Cash. Pay attention to what they give you, and what the fine print says. Otherwise, you might just find out the hard way that two 10s don't equal 20.

Related Links:

You CAN Use Multiple Coupons at Once!

When Coupons Cost You Money...

Me vs. Coupons: Round 1

Travis Pizel, debt management plan customer with leading provider of debt relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Travis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the A Straight Talk on Debt blog. He is also a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family in Minnesota. You can also read more from Travis on the Enemy of Debt blog, where he is a featured blogger. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To connect with Travis on Google+ click the

You can follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles