Retirement; How's it Going for You

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Retirement; How's it Going for You

Rate This
  • Comments 2

Recently, I found myself comparing my retirement life with my pre-retirement years. 

After some reminiscing during my trip back in time, I came to realize that my retirement years were just as happy but in entirely different ways. 

Here's my "Happy to be Retired" list.  

• Less Stress - My doctor told me retirement is a stress buster. My high blood pressure has gone down considerably. The doctor even decreased the dosage of the little pill I take for high blood pressure.  He says I'm adding years to my life.
    • Freedom to Make Choices - No longer am I ruled by the insensitive alarm clock. If I choose to sleep late I can. 
    • I can now follow MY dreams instead of someone else's. No longer am I confined to the four walls of an office. I can sit on my porch and read, I can spend hours working in my garden, I can take a nap if I feel like it, I can spend time with my friends and family anytime instead of just on week-ends, I can do absolutely nothing if that's what I choose.
    • Life is Simpler - I don't have to put on makeup and dress up every day. I can wear my jeans and sloppy shirts plus my tennis shoes. I don't have to fight traffic twice a day. I can take a quiet walk, I can play with my grandchildren, I can take up a new hobby and best of all, and I can just be me, not 'Mrs. Somebody' with a title attached who must live up to or exceeds expectations.
    • Endless Possibilities for Enjoyment and Freedom - Retirement is a great time to rediscover you. Do the things you have wanted to do for years but couldn't because of work. Your retirement years are meant to be happy years when you pick and choose your lifestyle. 

We haven't talked about money yet. 

What about money? 

I have read many articles where financial advisors are saying that to live out your  retirement years and not run out of money you need to sock away a couple of million dollars prior to retirement. WOW! I don't think I made a couple of million dollars in my entire working life. 

I will admit, you need some money to live comfortably but a couple of million dollars? A wise person once said, "Money will not buy happiness, but it will let you be unhappy in nice places". We all have different lifestyles and, therefore, do not have the same monetary needs. Some of us choose to live very frugally and others try to spend their way to happiness. Most of us are some where in-between. 

So, how's retirement going for you? 

Are you among the happy retirees who are enjoying life to the fullest or are you one of the unhappy retirees who continues to focus on what you gave up rather than what you may be gaining? Retirement should and could be the best part of your life.

Maybe you always wanted to start a business - go for it! 

Maybe you had dreamed of traveling - go for it! 

Maybe you wanted to become a volunteer and put your skills and talents to work helping people - go for it! 

Maybe you would like a part-time job to supplement your income - go for it! 

Good luck to all you retirees! 

There is no right or wrong way to manage retirement. We all have to find what works for us. 

Remember the Frank Sinatra song "I did it My Way"? Now is your golden opportunity to say the same thing. Go for it! 

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Thank You for that motivating imformation Kimberly..I will be leaving the post office in 5 years!!

• There are several simple things you can do to earn money online, it depends on how much money you are want to make, and the type of work you are looking to do. The easiest way to earn money online in a short amount of time is taking surveys. There are various legitimate sites where you make money by paid surveys.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)