Frugal but Healthy Home Remedies from Grandma’s Time

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Frugal but Healthy Home Remedies from Grandma’s Time

• Comments 19

As we move into October, I started thinking about winter and some of the unpleasant things it brings our way. 

Things that we don't seem to have much control over; such as catching a cold or, even worse, the flu. I usually spend at least half the winter coughing and no known over-the-counter prescription seems to bring about a cure. Then, there's the dreaded "congestion"; when you actually pray for just one good breath.

In a time of soaring health care costs - when a single trip to the doctor's office can cost hundreds of dollars and a visit to the hospital emergency room can balloon into thousands - it is comforting to know that there are many everyday health problems that you can safely and successfully treat with homemade remedies. 

You will be happy to discover that they can make a real difference in how you or a family member feels and when you start to mend without a budget-busting consultation at a medical facility or spending a small fortune at the drugstore.

Which brings me to my Grandma and her homemade remedies; guaranteed to bring about a cure for what ails you.

I can say this because many of her remedies were used on me as a child. 

Some of her homemade remedies used herbs and other natural ingredients that were known to our ancestors and have an honorable place in the history of healing. Keep in mind, in Grandma's time doctors and hospitals were not readily available, and the woman of the house was most often called upon to help a family member with a health issue.

Luckily, my Grandma kept a notebook with her healing recipes and that has been passed down through the family until it is now my time to be the "Keeper of the Notebook". 

I would like to share a few of her homemade remedies with you and, if you try them, you will probably save some of your hard earned dollars and feel much better in the process.

Steam Treatment for Congestion: You will need about 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh thyme, sage, peppermint, eucalyptus or pine needles and boiling water. 

1.  Put the herbs in a medium bowl and add the boiling water

2.  Lean over the bowl with a towel draped over your head and the bowl and inhale for 10 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day as needed.

Gargle Solution for a Sore Throat: In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon baking soda and 1 quart warm water. Shake the mixture well before each use. Gargle with up to ½ cup of this mixture as often as needed.

Cough Suppressant Medicine: In a small saucepan, combine 1 large onion finely diced, 2 cloves garlic, finely diced, 2 tablespoons finely diced fresh ginger. Add honey to cover and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes. Then, mash together and let cool. Strain and store in a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator. Take one teaspoon every 15 to 30 minutes.

Cough Suppressant Tea: In a standard teacup, steep 4 fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried sage in freshly boiled water for at least 20 minutes. Strain and drink hot or cold.

As with any medicine, these homemade remedies may not taste good but they will give excellent relief for colds, coughs, sore throat and congestion. 

I really feel that time is the real healer of these ailments rather than any medicine. However, if you can find a way to make yourself feel more comfortable and able to tolerate the "bug" that got you, why not give one of my Grandma's remedies a try. 

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • HOW I GOT A LEGIT LOAN  @ 2% INTEREST RATE

Do you need a loan to pay debt, Pay bills, buy a new home and refinance your business? if yes, contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN FIRM VIA email: marianlawson@outlook.com for easy and fast loan amount transfer. When i could not face my debt and i need a hug money for hospital bills, to get a home improvement and  to refinance, i came online to search for lender and i met how VICTORIA LAWSON company had help several person. i immediately contact her company with my details and my loan amount was approve within 48hours and i receive the credit in my bank. contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN FIRM with (marianlawson@outlook.com) For fast approved loan.

*Full Name:_________

*Address:_________

*Tell:_________

*loan amount:_________

*Loan duration:_________

*Purpose of loan:_________

*Monthly Income:__________

*Occupation__________

*Next of kin :_________

*Email :_________

Contact her company Via Email: marianlawson@outlook.com

• HOW I GOT A LEGIT LOAN  @ 2% INTEREST RATE

Do you need a loan to pay debt, Pay bills, buy a new home and refinance your business? if yes, contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN FIRM VIA email: marianlawson@outlook.com for easy and fast loan amount transfer. When i could not face my debt and i need a hug money for hospital bills, to get a home improvement and  to refinance, i came online to search for lender and i met how VICTORIA LAWSON company had help several person. i immediately contact her company with my details and my loan amount was approve within 48hours and i receive the credit in my bank. contact VICTORIA LAWSON LOAN FIRM with (marianlawson@outlook.com) For fast approved loan.

*Full Name:_________

*Address:_________

*Tell:_________

*loan amount:_________

*Loan duration:_________

*Purpose of loan:_________

*Monthly Income:__________

*Occupation__________

*Next of kin :_________

*Email :_________

Contact her company Via Email: marianlawson@outlook.com

• Are you in search of a legitimate loan? Tired of Seeking Loans and Mortgages?Have you been turned down by your banks ? Do you need a loan to clear your debts/bills? Then your financial trauma is over. We Offer Loans from $5,000.00 to $100,000,000.00 with 3% interest rate. We are certified and trust worthy. we can help you with financial  assistance. If interested do get back to us via Email:  manojyidi01@gmail.com

• HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM THIS GREAT COMPANY

Hello my dear people , I am Anita Frank, currently living in New jersey city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in April 2015 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit ,do not full prey to those hoodlums at there that call them self money lender they are all scam , all they want is your money and you well not hear from them again they have done it to me twice before I met Mr. Wilson Edwards  the most interesting part of it is that my loan was transfer to me within 74hours so I will advice you to contact Mr. Edwards if you are interested in getting loan and you are sure you can pay him back on time you can contact him via email……… (wilsonedwardsloancompany@gmail.com) No credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral then contact Mr. Wilson Edwards today for your loan

They offer all kind of categories of loan they

Short term loan (5_10years)  

Long term loan (20_40)

Media term loan(10_20)

They offer loan like

Home loan.............,  Business loan........  Debt loan .......

Student loan..........,Business start up loan

Business loan....... ,  Company loan.............. etc

Email..........(wilsonedwardsloancompany@gmail.com )

When it comes to financial crisis and loan then Wilson Edwards loan financial is the place to go please just tell him I Mrs. Anita Frank direct you Good Luck.......................

• HOW I GOT MY LOAN FROM THIS GREAT COMPANY

Hello my dear people , I am Anita Frank, currently living in New jersey city, USA. I am a widow at the moment with three kids and i was stuck in a financial situation in April 2015 and i needed to refinance and pay my bills. I tried seeking loans from various loan firms both private and corporate but never with success, and most banks declined my credit ,do not full prey to those hoodlums at there that call them self money lender they are all scam , all they want is your money and you well not hear from them again they have done it to me twice before I met Mr. Wilson Edwards  the most interesting part of it is that my loan was transfer to me within 74hours so I will advice you to contact Mr. Edwards if you are interested in getting loan and you are sure you can pay him back on time you can contact him via email……… (wilsonedwardsloancompany@gmail.com) No credit check, no co signer with just 2% interest rate and better repayment plans and schedule if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan without collateral then contact Mr. Wilson Edwards today for your loan

They offer all kind of categories of loan they

Short term loan (5_10years)  

Long term loan (20_40)

Media term loan(10_20)

They offer loan like

Home loan.............,  Business loan........  Debt loan .......

Student loan..........,Business start up loan

Business loan....... ,  Company loan.............. etc

Email..........(wilsonedwardsloancompany@gmail.com )

When it comes to financial crisis and loan then Wilson Edwards loan financial is the place to go please just tell him I Mrs. Anita Frank direct you Good Luck.......................

• Do you need a loan to start up business or to pay your bills and a corporate financial for real estate and any kinds of business financing. LAKEWOOD FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS also offer Loans to individuals,Firms and corporate bodies at 2% interest rate. LAKEWOOD give out loan to serious minded people that are interested of loan if interested contact this email: lakewook_financialinstitutions@consultant.com or lakewook21@gamil.com

• Do you need a loan from The most trusted and reliable company in the world? if yes then contact us now for we offer loan to all categories of seekers be it companies or for staff usage. We offer loan at 3% interest rate, Contact us via email: osmanmoneyfinance@gmail.com

• Do you need Personal Loan?

Business Cash Loan?

Unsecured Loan

Fast and Simple Loan?

Quick Application Process?

Approvals within 24-72 Hours?

No Hidden Fees Loan?

Funding in less than 1 Week?

Get unsecured working capital?

Contact Us At :osmanmoneyfinance@gmail.com

LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:

================================

*Commercial Loans.

*Personal Loans.

*Business Loans.

*Investments Loans.

*Development Loans.

*Acquisition Loans .

*Construction loans.

*Business Loans And many More:

LOAN APPLICATION FORM:

=================

Full Name:................

Loan Amount Needed:.

Purpose of loan:.......

Loan Duration:..

Marital status:....

Home Address:..

City:............

Phone:..........

Mobile / Cell:....

Monthly Income:....

Contact Us At :osmanmoneyfinance@gmail.com

• My name is zunna, I am from New york, United State, am here to testify of how i got my loan from Mrs Ingrid {ingridkloetloanfirm@gmail.com} after i applied Two times from various loan lenders who claimed to be lenders right in this forum,i thought their lending where real and i applied but they never gave me loan. I was in need of an urgent loan to start a business and i applied from various loan lenders who promised to help but they never gave me the loan.Until a friend of mine introduce me to Mrs Ingrid kloet the C.E.O of INGRID Loan Company who promised to help me with a loan of my desire and he really did as he promised without any form of delay, I never thought there are still reliable loan lenders until i met Mrs Ingrid, who really helped me with my loan and changed my life for better. I dont know if you are in need of an urgent loan, free feel to contact Ingrid loan company on email{ ingridkloetloanfirm@gmail.com} for help

• HOW EDWARD LOAN COMPANY GRANTED ME A BUSINESS LOAN!!!

Hello everyone, I am Oliver Johnson Moore from Zurich Switzerland and want to use this medium to express gratitude to EDWARD JONES  for fulfilling his promise by granting me a loan, i was stuck in a financial situation and needed to refinance and pay my bills as well as start up a Business. I tried seeking for loans from various loan firms both private and corporate organisations but never succeeded and most banks declined my credit request. But as God would have it, i was introduced by a friend named Lisa Rice to EDWARD JONES  LOAN COMPANY and undergone the due process of obtaining a loan from the company, to my greatest surprise within 28hrs just like my friend Lisa, i was also granted a loan of $387,000.00; So my advise to everyone who desires a loan, "if you must contact any firm with reference to securing a loan online with low interest rate of 2% and better repayment plans/schedule, please contact EDWARD JONES  LOAN COMPANY. Besides, he doesn't know that am doing this but due to the joy in me, i'm so happy and wish to let people know more about this great company whom truly give out loans, it is my prayer that GOD should bless them more as they put smiles on peoples faces. You can contact them via email on {Jonesloanfinance@yahoo.com} or Text +1(307) 241-3712

• Am here to testify how Mr Martins helped me with the blank ATM CARD to become a millionaire . He is a wonderful hacker which i mailed about the BLANK ATM CARD . I was in financially difficulties till i got these card delivered to me after paying for it . The card was shipped to me in 24 hrs and i have withdraw $400,000 already, $4,000-$20,000 daily. Now i have my financial freedom , you can also be rich by contacting him via email . These is the most easiest way to become a millionaire in few days. Here is the email if you truly need ONE of this card. (martinshackers22@gmail.com martinshackers22@gmail.com).... 100% REAL.

• My name is Kate Morgan, i was able to spy on my cheating ex-Husband phone without him finding out.....it really helped my lawyer during my divorce i have been scammed so many times but Hackgenius is the best hacker i have met he helped me regain my freedom and lost money by scammers ...you can contact hackjunkies@gmail.com for spying and hacking phones,computer,email,Facebook and other social networks account,his services are cheap ...hackjunkies@gmail.com or Text +13156755702 please tell him kate referred you

• Good Day Everyone,

We are Christian Organization formed to help people in needs of helps,such as financial help.So if you are going through financial difficulty or you are in any financial mess,and you need funds to start up your own business,or you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills,start a nice business, or you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks,contact us today via email barbarahodgeloanfirm@gmail.com. for the bible says””Luke 11:10 Everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened”.So do not let these opportunity pass you by because Jesus is the same yesterday, today and forever more.Please these is for serious minded and God fearing People.

via email barbarahodgeloanfirm@gmail.com.

Our Services Include the Following:

Debt Consolidation

Second Mortgage

Business Loans

Personal Loans

International Loans

Loan for any kinds

Family loan

E.T.C

Loan Application Form:

* Name of Applicant:

* Address:

* City:

* State:

* Marital Status:

* Income Rate:

* Tel:

* Mobile:

* Amount Requested:

* Loan Duration:

* Loan Purpose:

* Have you applied for a loan before?

* If yes; Name of company & Location:

EMPLOYMENT:

* Place of work:

* Address:

* Phone Number:

Loan Officer.

Monday-Saturday:7:30am-6:30pm {Processing time}.

Sunday:12noon-6:30pm {Processing time}

After submitting the Loan Application, you can expect a preliminary answer less than 24 hours and funding within 72-96 hours of receiving the information we need from you.

BARBAR HODGE

barbarahodgeloanfirm@gmail.com or text or call us on +15017229938

Awaiting your swift reply.

• I Never Believed in Chester Brian Loan Company Until now.....(Brianloancompany@yahoo.com)

Hello All, I was really so downcast after losing so much and facing financial difficulties, no one to help me and all i could do was to just seat and watch my business going down and almost losing my son to an illness. But never the less i meet an old college mate who told me about the loan he got from Chester Brian Loan Company and until now the company have assisted so many of his friends seeking a loan. So i told him that getting a loan any more is not my style because of the disappointment from my bank and other loan company i trusted but he insisted i apply for it and now i can now boost of restoring my company back to its full glory. i will keep on testifying on behalf of Chester Brain Loan because they have made me to be a man again. So if interested in acquiring a loan of any kind email them today via: {Brianloancompany@yahoo.com } OR text (803) 373-2162 .Am Harvey Lee from United States of America.

• Good Day.

Are you in any kind of financial difficulties? Your help comes now. Are you having sleepless night worrying how to get a Loan?Don't allow your dreams to die, or are you looking for whom to trust or have you

been scammed by INTERNET fraud stars, or you have been turned down by other financial company contact PRIVATE  LOAN COMPANY today for easy and reliable contact  us via email: Juanromeofirm@gmail.com

MRS JUAN ROMEO.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 12
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment