Frugal but Healthy Home Remedies from Grandma’s Time

A Straight Talk on Debt

A Straight Talk on Debt gives you the real deal on debt, straight from our employees and personal finance experts. Learn more about debt relief plans and how to be financially fit.

Frugal but Healthy Home Remedies from Grandma’s Time

• Comments 38

As we move into October, I started thinking about winter and some of the unpleasant things it brings our way. 

Things that we don't seem to have much control over; such as catching a cold or, even worse, the flu. I usually spend at least half the winter coughing and no known over-the-counter prescription seems to bring about a cure. Then, there's the dreaded "congestion"; when you actually pray for just one good breath.

In a time of soaring health care costs - when a single trip to the doctor's office can cost hundreds of dollars and a visit to the hospital emergency room can balloon into thousands - it is comforting to know that there are many everyday health problems that you can safely and successfully treat with homemade remedies. 

You will be happy to discover that they can make a real difference in how you or a family member feels and when you start to mend without a budget-busting consultation at a medical facility or spending a small fortune at the drugstore.

Which brings me to my Grandma and her homemade remedies; guaranteed to bring about a cure for what ails you.

I can say this because many of her remedies were used on me as a child. 

Some of her homemade remedies used herbs and other natural ingredients that were known to our ancestors and have an honorable place in the history of healing. Keep in mind, in Grandma's time doctors and hospitals were not readily available, and the woman of the house was most often called upon to help a family member with a health issue.

Luckily, my Grandma kept a notebook with her healing recipes and that has been passed down through the family until it is now my time to be the "Keeper of the Notebook". 

I would like to share a few of her homemade remedies with you and, if you try them, you will probably save some of your hard earned dollars and feel much better in the process.

Steam Treatment for Congestion: You will need about 3 tablespoons of finely chopped fresh thyme, sage, peppermint, eucalyptus or pine needles and boiling water. 

1.  Put the herbs in a medium bowl and add the boiling water

2.  Lean over the bowl with a towel draped over your head and the bowl and inhale for 10 minutes. Repeat 2 or 3 times a day as needed.

Gargle Solution for a Sore Throat: In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine 2 heaping tablespoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon baking soda and 1 quart warm water. Shake the mixture well before each use. Gargle with up to ½ cup of this mixture as often as needed.

Cough Suppressant Medicine: In a small saucepan, combine 1 large onion finely diced, 2 cloves garlic, finely diced, 2 tablespoons finely diced fresh ginger. Add honey to cover and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes. Then, mash together and let cool. Strain and store in a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid in the refrigerator. Take one teaspoon every 15 to 30 minutes.

Cough Suppressant Tea: In a standard teacup, steep 4 fresh sage leaves or 1 teaspoon dried sage in freshly boiled water for at least 20 minutes. Strain and drink hot or cold.

As with any medicine, these homemade remedies may not taste good but they will give excellent relief for colds, coughs, sore throat and congestion. 

I really feel that time is the real healer of these ailments rather than any medicine. However, if you can find a way to make yourself feel more comfortable and able to tolerate the "bug" that got you, why not give one of my Grandma's remedies a try. 

Kimberly Johns, Debt Management Plan Customer with Leading Provider of Debt Relief, CareOne Services, Inc. Kimberly Johns

Kimberly is enrolled on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, Kim shares how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income in their home state of Illinois. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income. Kimberly generously shares smart and tested tips in her A Straight Talk on Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • USA based top notch legitimate Research Paper company Serving clients all round the clock in completing research papers, term papers and essay writing services.

• Looking for a debt consolidation loan, unsecured loans, business loans, mortgage loans, car loans, student loans, personal loans, venture capital, etc! I am a private lender, I provide loans to companies and individuals with low interest rates and reasonable interest rates of 2%. Email to: creditclearance4@gmail.com or text us via whatsapp +19782277925

• APPLY FOR URGENT LOAN TO HELP YOURSELF OR FAMILY PEOPLE?

Are you in need of Urgent Loan Here no collateral required all problem regarding Loan is solve between a short period of

time with a low interest rate of 2% and duration more than 20 years what are you waiting for apply now and solve your

problem or start a business with Loan paying of various bills I think you have come to the right place I'll advise you can

contact us via email  

whatspp +917738214856

abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com

Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

• Are you looking for Finance?

Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business?

We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business

expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 2%, Do you need this

finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email:

misssharma680@gmail.com

Suman Ibrahim

• Quick financial cash offer Apply now no collateral required  just 2% interest rate, both long and short term cash of all

amounts and currencies I'll advise you can contact us via email at

whatspp +917738214856

Mr Abdullah

• Do you need Personal Loan?

Business Cash Loan?

Unsecured Loan

Fast and Simple Loan?

Quick Application Process?

Approvals within 24-72 Hours?

No Hidden Fees Loan?

Funding in less than 1 Week?

Get unsecured working capital?

whatspp +917738214856

Mr Abdullah

LOAN SERVICES AVAILABLE INCLUDE:

================================

*Commercial Loans.

*Personal Loans.

*Business Loans.

*Investments Loans.

*Development Loans.

*Acquisition Loans .

*Construction loans.

*Business Loans And many More:

LOAN APPLICATION FORM:

=================

Full Name:................

Loan Amount Needed:.

Purpose of loan:.......

Loan Duration:..

Marital status:....

Home Address:..

City:............

Phone:..........

Mobile / Cell:....

Monthly Income:....

whatspp +917738214856

Mr Abdullah

• DO YOU NEED AN AFFORDABLE LOAN TODAY?

We have provided over $1 Billion in business loans to over 15,000 business owners just like you. We use our own designated risk technology to provide you with the right business loan so you can grow your business. Our services are fast and reliable, loans are approved within 24 hours of successful application. We offer loans from a minimum range of $10,000 to a maximum of $200 million.

Do you find yourself in a bit of trouble with unpaid bills and don’t know which way to go or where to turn? What about finding a reputable Debt Consolidation firm that can assist you in reducing monthly installment so that you will have affordable repayment options as well as room to breathe when it comes to the end of the month and bills need to get paid? Dr. Jayden Martin Home Loans is the answer. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. Email (jaydenmartinhomeloans@gmail.com) Phone: +1 (929)277-5237

DO YOU NEED 100% FINANCE? we give out loans with an affordable interest rate of 2% JAYDEN MARTIN HOME LOANS, (jaydenmartinhomeloans@gmail.com) aims is to provide Excellent Professional Financial Services.

Our services include the following:

*Truck Loans

* Personal Loans

* Debt consolidation loans

* Car Loans

* Business Loans

* Education Loans

* Mortgage

*Refinancing Loans

* Home Loans

We give you loan with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 30 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured). Do not keep your financial problems to yourself in order for you not to be debt master or financial stress up, which is why you must contact us quickly for a solution to your financial problems. It will be a great joy to us when you are financially stable. Email (jaydenmartinhomeloans@gmail.com) Phone: +1 (929)277-5237

NOTE:Bear in mind that it will only take less than 24 Hours to process your file is 100% Guaranteed no matter your Credit Score.

Yours Sincerely,

Dr. Jayden Martin

+1 (929)277-5237

We are certified and your privacy is 100% safe with us. Worry no more about your loans or finances.

Get your instant loan approval

• xmas loan

This is to inform the public that Ms. mercy, personal loan lenders financial opportunity for those who need financial assistance. We provide loan interest rate by 2% for individuals, businesses and corporations in accordance with the terms that are clear and easy to understand. contact us today via email: This is to inform the public that Ms. mercy, personal loan lenders financial opportunity for those who need financial assistance. We provide loan interest rate by 2% for individuals, businesses and corporations in accordance with the terms that are clear and easy to understand. contact us today via email: johnleemill12345@gmail.com

Page 3 of 3 (38 items) 123
Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment