The other day, I was talking to a friend who is currently going through a divorce. She was giddy with relief that her ex had reluctantly agreed to take over the enormous soul-sucking SUV payment.

She really loved the car, but knew that the payment, complicated by the fact that she would have to donate blood daily in order to afford the gas, was about as practical as a condemn machine in the men's room at the Vatican.

At the time, I hated to deflate her new found bliss, but... I had to ask...Why don't you just sell the beast? It was as if I had asked her to put down the dog!

Divorce Your DebtThe excuses started...

"My ex really likes the car and we owe too much, His credit is scarred and he can't get another vehicle that nice for the same payment, Once I get back up on my feet he's gonna let me have the car." wah wah wah!

When I explained to her that you can't divorce your debt, she started sweating like a weight watcher disciple in a cake factory.

"But... He agreed to pay the payment in the divorce settlement??? That means I'm not responsible anymore.... Right???"

WRONG! Here's the ugly truth.

A paper saying your ex is going to pay a bill is about as useful as an inflatable dartboard.

When you borrow money from a bank, credit card, or other institution, and you sign and agree to jointly and individually be liable for that debt, that's between you and the bank. You're responsible for the entire balance. 100%. The entire enchilada! You get the idea.

Just because you're ex's attorney from the firm of "Low, Ball, and Lynch" (there really is such a firm) wrote it up in the marital settlement, does not relieve you of your responsibility to pay for the debt.

I'd be willing to bet, that six or maybe eight months up the road... just when you think your starting to get back on your feet... you will get that call...

"Ahhh...Is (insert the best mispronunciation of your full legal name here) available"? Ummm, I'm required by law to tell you, this is an attempt to collect a debt... blah, blah, blah!

Congratulations! You now have some eight-dollar an hour, bottom-feeding cube-dweller whose sole purpose in life for ten hours per day, is to pursue the collection of payment for your ex's now worthless car, because he let his new girl friend drive it, and she didn't think it was worth the extra hundred bucks a month for insurance.

So here's my advice. Pay off ALL joint marital debt.

If you don't have the money, borrow it, steal it, get an extra job!

Some way, some how, pay off all the joint marital debt, before you divorce.

I can all but promise you, if you leave any debt out there, it will haunt you like a mother in law waiting for her first grandchild.

You WILL eventually get that call from the law firm of "Payne and Fears" (yes... another real law firm) and at some point... you will likely pay the bill.

You need to put the past in the past.

Divorce your debt and your ex!

Until next time...

Mykal Martinmykal@thedivorcepill.com

Mykal Martin is the creator of "The Divorce Pill", a patented blend of ancient eastern, and cutting edge herbal technology, specifically blended to ease the physical and psychologically induced trauma of divorce. Through "The Divorce Pill Blog", and the TV podcast series "The Ex Files", Mykal shares his insights, advice, successes, and failures with people who are struggling through the chaos of divorce.

Follow Mykal on Twitter