August, 2009

Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.
  • Single and Settling In

Don't Stop Having Fun!

• 3 Comments

One thing I truly miss now that I am on a strict budget is....entertaining.  I love to have people over and when I do - I like to go all out so that I know friends and family will feel comfortable and enjoy themselves.  That is hard to do now.  I had to start to think of ideas that would still make me a great hostess, but not kill my budget for the week (or month!). 

• Single and Settling In

Gifts, Gifts and More Gifts!

• 8 Comments

Those of you who are single should be able to relate to this and maybe even give some good tips on how to work through it. A couple of weeks ago something hit me. I was at a very close friend’s home where she was giving a birthday party for her oldest child, whom I adore and consider a nephew. We went through the opening of the presents and the oos and ahhs and I packed up getting ready to head home. As I said my good-byes, my friend reminded me about the birthday party she was having for her husband the following week and of course the surprise birthday party at the end of the month for her mother , who I consider a 2nd mother.

• Single and Settling In

How to Deal With Unforeseen Events

• 4 Comments

When it rains, it pours. I have lived without credit cards (my previous security blanket) for over a year now. I have followed my CareOne program religiously and have reaped the benefits from it. I have watched balances drop and my financial freedom is getting closer and closer.So what’s the problem? The last couple of weeks are the problems? I had to buy 4 tires for my car, which I budgeted for, what I didn’t budget for is the break job the car also needed, the 3 vet trips to figure out why my dog was vomiting continuously, the water damage to my back door that has showed itself through the mold and mushrooms (yes, mushrooms) growing up the side of it, not to mention the electric bill that was way more than I expected only to find out I seemed to have left the air conditioning on a nice cool level while out of town on vacation for the week.Nice.

• Single and Settling In

1 Year Down, 4 More to Go

• 8 Comments
    It has been a year since I committed to my CareOne program. Didn’t think I would or could make it. It has been hard and I am still amazed at how I am able to “live” without credit cards – if only I knew then what I know now! I read the blogs and chats and posts in the Community and I only hope that people are getting what they need for help. It is scary to be in debt. It is scary to reach the point where you don’t know how you are going to put food on the table or make a rent or mortgage payment. It is scary to commit to a program that seems your “last resort”. But, really, what do you have to lose? We don’t remember it being scary when we were spending or making bad decisions financially. We have a fear of the unknown and the uncertainty. I look at it this way, you can be in one of three scenarios: ...
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

In addition to the blogs, be sure to check out the new CareOne Groups:

Starting Out

Are you finally out on your own and figuring out how to balance your finances? If so, this is the group for you. In Starting Out, you can talk about the challenges you are dealing with in a group of like-minded people.

Settling In

Do you feel like you are finally understanding what being a "grown-up" is all about and are settling into your adult life? If so, this is the group for you. In Settling In you can connect with others who are just like you.

Balancing It All

Struggling to balance all that an established lifestyle has to offer? The balancing it all group is for you. Discuss the challenges you face when your responsibilities at work, at home and with family and friends all compete for your attention.

The New Retirement

Are you currently retired or planning on retiring very soon? If so, this is the group for you. Times have changed and so has retirement. Learn how others are redefining retirement.