Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

Are You a Coupon User?

• Comments 2

It makes sense that we’re always looking for great ways to save money.  We can actually incorporate saving money into almost every aspect of our life, but when does saving money get to be too much of a hassle? 

No, I have not gone crazy. It dawned on me the other day while checking out at the grocery store-- I go through stages. Sometimes I am completely dedicated to clipping coupons -- I will search for endless hours online, I will log on to coupon-only websites to download as many as I can, I will get Sunday paper after Sunday paper and sit for hours going through each insert to find any coupon I can that will save me the least bit of money. 

I collect my little pieces of heaven in the forms of “buy one get one free” and $.50 off, and head out to the grocery store . . . which leads me to the check out.

While the cashier rings up my purchases, I sort through what seems like hundreds of coupons trying to remember what I bought and if I got the right brand or not.  Then, when I think I have them all, the cashier has to go back through the receipt to match up what doesn't scan.  All in all, yes, I save some money-- but at what cost?  I have held up a line of people extremely aggravated with my lack of coupon organization, I end up buying things I don't need because I have a coupon for them, and when I go back and look at some of the things I purchased with coupons I see that the generic brand was cheaper than the brand I bought with the coupon!  So, is it worth it?  I don't know. 

Sure the thrill of seeing your balance drop an extra $15.00 with a little help from coupons is always a great feeling, but would you have really bought some of the stuff you did if you didn't find the coupon?  I guess I don't have the answer.  Some days I feel like it’s a catch 22 to use them, other days it seems like I’m throwing money away if I don't.  I guess the key is to stick to a grocery list . . . if you find a coupon for something on your list - bonus! 

What do you think?  Yeah or Nay on the coupons?

• I headed towards the door as I assumed we were done.As I reached the doorway to the mall, I noticed my wife was still deep inside the store. Apparently we were not finished with our frugal adventure with fragrances.

• With this recent focus on using coupons, I suddenly feel like I may be missing out on something and leaving money on the table. I've decided I'm going to try couponing, and I want you to follow along win my adventure. Maybe you can even help me!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)