Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

Summer Party Time on a Budget!

• Comments 1

I want to have a party.  Casual, fun, close friends.  I want to celebrate the summer and relax a bit with the people I enjoy being around.  We work hard, we deserve it!  So, what is girl on a budget to do? 

I have a great house, but not big enough for anything larger than a dinner party.  I have to consider food, drinks, and entertainment.  I see people get together at our local pool, but it never looks like a lot of fun to me to party next to people you don't know.  I started to talk to friends about this. 

What came of it?

Some great ideas and options that fit my needs.

Location:  I volunteer at a wonderful facility that helps at risk youth through equine therapy.  They have a beautiful farm with open space, pastures, and trails in the woods that go for miles and miles.  While talking one day, the owner of this fantastic facility (who would have been invited to the party anyway) offered to have it at their location.  Perfect.  Kid friendly.  Room to set up games and a tent if needed.  Here's the bonus - I insisted on paying something for the use of their property and not only did she give me a more than fair deal, but because her facility is a non-profit organization, I am giving funds to a charity that I hold dear to my heart....Bonus!

Food:  I could make everything, but that is sometimes more expensive than some other options.  Instead, I asked a friend who owns a local restaurant to cater a very basic BBQ type menu.  He charged me cost and I knew the food would be great.

Entertainment:  Off to Goodwill.  By hitting a couple of stores in my area, I found Bocce Ball Sets, volleyball equipment, a couple of baby pools for people to cool their feet in, and even an old radio that we could set up and not worry about breaking.  You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I spent total for entertainment....nothing like thrift shopping.

Drink:  I provide the basics, including water and soft drinks; everyone else brings a 12 pack of something, or a bottle of something else.  Throw it all in the same area and you have yourself a nicely stocked bar.

So, with little cost and little planning, I can still have a great get together and have everyone involved.  I'm looking forward to some fun during the day and a great bonfire in evening.  I love summer!

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

• Just because you are watching your wallet doesn't mean you have to give up the things you really enjoy doing....like entertaining.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)