I was skeptical.  I mean, put a bunch of jewelry in a bag, send it away, and get a check for it?  It  didn't seem quite right.  It was a time when I was a little desperate for some cash, so I did it.  I put in a few things that didn't mean much to me...that way if I lost out I wouldn't be too disappointed!  A couple of weeks later, I got a check for almost $200!  Wow. 

What else could some of my old jewelry do?  I found out a lot.  I took some of the nicer things that I had-- again that really didn't have any sentimental value -- and brought them to a jeweler; I was able to turn them into cash, as well.  I also took some broken jewelry pieces that did have value to me, and actually worked with a local jeweler, who turned them into a new piece with the importance to me still intact.  Now, instead of having pieces that I can't wear, I have beautiful "new" pieces that were made from broken jewelry. 

The best thing I have done?  I received a wonderful piece of jewelry from a friend of mine.  I knew it was valuable, but it was something that I would really never wear.  I was caught in a catch-22 - I loved the thought and what the piece represented, but on the flip side, if I would never really wear it, it seemed a shame.  I had the piece for about 5 years, and only wore it a couple of times. 

Recently, I visited the jeweler where it was purchased and found out that he would actually take the piece and put the value of it toward another purchase (with some limitations).  I thought about it.  I discussed it with the friend who purchased it for me; with their blessing, my fiancé and I exchanged the piece of jewelry and the value was put toward our wedding bands.  What a wonderful gift to receive and to know that the thoughtfulness of a good friend helped us to get something that meant so much to us and that will be worn forever.

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.