Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

Who has the time....or the money?

• Comments 1

I was recently invited to a "Memory Keeping Party."  Not one to do the Pampered Chef, Tupperware, or Candle Parties, I pulled my friend aside and gently told her that although I would love to go, I was not in a position to purchase anything at this point and I was going to pass.  "No, no...no worries. I don't want you to buy anything; just come and have some fun...you'll see-- it will be great!" So I went.  My directions were to bring 5 pictures with me.  So I did.  When I arrived, I was there with 3 other people, yep 3.  Apparently I wasn't the only one who was a little apprehensive about memory keeping.  My friend, with the help of our "Memory Keeping Host," gave us a quick presentation on how wonderful scrapbooking can be.  Oh boy, here we go.  So, for the next 2 hours we took our 5 pictures and made them into very detailed, very time-consuming, very unique scrapbook pages.  Not exactly my cup of tea!  I have hundreds of pictures, and if 5 pictures took me two hours, I would be scrapbooking for the next hundred years.  I was gathering my stuff and thanking my friend and the Memory Keeping Host when it happened.  "Wait, you can't leave until we get you set up with our starter kit...."  Uh-oh.  Hard to make a quick exit when there are only 3 of you.  I explained that financially I was in a bit of a bind, but apparently that wasn't a concern because our host explained that if she didn't make any money at this event, then I wasted her time.  So, I purchased the smallest, most inexpensive book I could (which was still VERY expensive) and made my way to the door.

Two weeks later my purchase arrived...my mini scrapbook, with no pages.  Pages, apparently, are sold separately. 

I have very little time for memory keeping in my life and if it is going to cost me a small fortune to do, I definitely am going to have some issues.  Yet, I have wonderful nieces and nephews that I want to document our time with, a wedding coming up, and exciting things happening in my life. I would hate to take pictures, download them onto a computer, and let them sit.  I just hope my computer doesn't crash or so will all my good times!  Here are a couple of things that I found to help make my memory keeping a little bit easier:

• Do it right away.  As soon as you do something that has special meaning, print off the pics and get them in an album.  Don't use EVERY picture you take, use the ones that tell the story the best - small albums are great for a quick smile.
  • Make it fun!  My nieces came to visit and we took pictures, bought some cheap stickers and small albums on sale, and on their last night we made identical photo albums of our favorite shots to remember our "girls trip."
  • Use the resources you have....Microsoft has wonderful templates for easy do-it-yourself projects:  Stickers, iron-ons, magnets.  Download and print, and your memory is preserved!

Hope this helps! I don't think I can be a Memory Keeper Host, but I am all about sharing quick and cheap alternatives!

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

• Happy Friday my frugal friends!! The new school year will be starting soon and you know what that means... tax free weekends!

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)