Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

What's in your pantry?

Rate This
  • Comments 1

There has been one thing that has remained consistent over the 2 years that I have been on my DMP...I cannot figure out how to spend less on food.  I have tried it all!  There is nothing more frustrating to me than being single, having to shop and cook for myself, and still having no idea about how to keep my food bill down. 

I have blogged several times on this and others on this site have blogged about it, yet none of us have the "magic bullet" on what works.  We all have to eat, but why does it have to be so expensive and downright complicated?  We listen to reports that we have to eat healthier, but have you been into one of those health food stores?  The prices are unbelievable.  Plus, to eat healthy all the time you have to know how to cook more than just the basics - you have to truly prepare.  How about coming home from working about 10 hours?  The last thing you want to do is spend another hour or two preparing a meal.

One thing I have found that I do enjoy is the local farmer's market.  I found 3 in my area and visit them often on the weekends now.  It makes shopping a bit more fun.  You can enjoy the weather, support the local farmers, and find fair prices that are sometimes even negotiable; plus, some of the other treasures you can find at stands that are involved are a lot more fun than the stuff you find down each grocery store aisle!  I picked up the most beautiful bouquet of fresh flowers that I had ever seen for $5.00.  Visiting the farmer's market actually makes you want to plant your own garden!

For one of the best resources I have found, check out this list of the "need to have" in your pantry if you are cooking for one. I love this list.  It's the basics that you most likely have anyway and from it you can create some great meals.  I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works...I'm up for anything!

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

• just bare have food try pay off bills just need be debt free

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)