Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

Gas, Electric and Water...Oh My!

• Comments 2

Okay, so these are not exactly lions, tigers, and bears....but, if you don't pay attention to them, they could be!  Growing up, I never understood why my father was constantly telling us to, "turn off the lights" when you leave a room, "put a sweater on" if we were cold or, "turn the water off" while brushing your teeth.  Never understood it, until I became a homeowner! 

Each winter, spring, summer, or fall - I am the first one to start to think about what utility bills will adjust and how can I prevent a huge spike in them!  Here are a couple of things that I have learned, that have helped me save a bit:

Find out if your gas or electric company does a monthly payment all year round.  For example, I pay one monthly charge for 12 months for my gas bill.  After I had established a year of living in my home, they averaged out how much I paid over the year and came up with a monthly cost.  I now know each month exactly what I will be paying and in the winter it doesn't spike when I increase usage.

Did you know you should adjust your vents?  I didn't.  It took me a couple of seasons changing and a call to the heating and cooling professionals to realize that when I am ready to change from air to heat and vice versa....I have to venture up to my attic and adjust my vents accordingly - who knew!  A professional even made a house visit to show me how to do it - at no cost.

Turn off the sprinkler systems.  I know, if you have worked hard at getting your lawn just right, it is difficult to let that go.  I used my watering system the first year I was in my home and it really caused nothing but problems!  The water bills went up, and when there was a leak, I didn't know until my water bill went up more!  In my county, you have to have your system serviced every year to ensure sewage isn't backing up into it....that is another cost I didn't expect.  So, after year one, I winterized the system and haven't used it since.

This link provides a couple more tips I hadn't considered.   

A little goes a long way when it comes to these necessities!  Worth every penny! 

Related Posts

Summer is Coming and so are Those High Energy Bills 

Saving on Energy Costs Year Round Can Put More Money in Your Bank Account

Become A Star, An Energy Star!

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• I want to share five ways that save me a few dollars each month because they add up quickly, and every little bit helps.

• Do you ever feel like no one considered increasing the percent of wage increase but forgot to mention that to the cost of living?! Seriously.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)