Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

Can I Really Do That Myself?

• Comments 1

There are so many things happening in my life:  deposits due for wedding events, bills to be paid, dogs to be cared for-- you get the point.   Slowly but surely, things are falling by the wayside; and some luxuries that just don't make sense anymore, are still necessary. 

Specifically, I am referring to hair cuts.  I know; it seems like pretty small of a concern, right?  Well, not really. I grew my hair long so that I did not need to "maintain" it as much, but a woman getting her hair cut is much different than a man.  All said and done, a shampoo and trim for me is about $45.00, which is inexpensive for some, but for me....it's groceries for a week!  So, after more than 6 months of avoiding my stylist, my split ends are out of control, my layers have grown out, and I am looking a little rough around the edges, but not ready to part with $45.00! 

A quick search on the internet and I can do some do-it-yourself maintenance.  No, really.  I found some tips like this one:  by doing an intensive conditioning once a week or even less, you can "manage" split ends and keep your hair healthier, thus avoiding frequent cuts.  How about cutting your own split ends?! Did it and lived to tell about it!  Here are some of the tips I found helpful.

So, it got me thinking: what other luxuries can I do on my own?

We all know about the do-it-yourself Mani/Pedi.

Have you thought about dog care? Have your vet teach you how to trim nails, express glands, and clean ears. These can all can be done with the purchase of simple tools, and leave you with a lot more money in hand. What about making pet toys?

Bet you never thought about taking care of your own car....

Amazing!  Just a simple search online and I found tons of things that I can do myself to save some money.....educating and empowering!  Gotta love it! 

Related Posts

Frugal & Fabulous Mother's Day Celebration Ideas

Savvy Spender's Story

Don't Break Your Holiday Budget on Wrapping

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• I started making a mental note of services in my everyday life that I currently pay for, but that I could learn to do myself.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)