Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

Never Hurts To Ask

• Comments 1

Who would have thought?  I am amazed at how much I have learned since I began taking charge of my finances and being thoroughly involved in all aspects of my money ways.  So, what was it this time that surprised me? Honestly; I just asked.  I had a tough month.  I am sure each of us has been there.  Nothing seemed to be falling right, unplanned expenses were hitting, and I just couldn't catch a break. 

I was sitting one afternoon trying desperately to make ends meet just right with bills and expenses, but they just wouldn't.  No matter which way I did things, I couldn't cover it all.  I felt a little bit of panic and a lot of pressure.  I had this fear that all my hard work for the last 2+ years was going to go down the drain, because of this one month. 

I had no choice but to pick up the phone and start to make some phone calls, but not to who you might expect.  I called the "people" I owed.  I called my mortgage holder; I called the bank that handles my car loan; I called CareOne.  Each time, I explained what I was up against and what had happened to me the previous month. 

Here is the key:  I called them and simply asked for help.  Assuming the worst, I was pleasantly surprised!  With very few exceptions, I was able to make partial payments on some things, change due dates on others, and all in all make it work - even better than I had planned! 

It was nice.  It was nice to talk to folks who appreciated what I was going through and, most importantly, took into account my good history and did not hold one month of trouble against me or jeopardize my good credit score.  I was able to get everything paid within a designated time without penalties, because I called ahead.

Bottom line:  they want their payment just as much as I want to pay it. So if you call them before they call you, you will find a little more flexibility.  Obviously, no guarantees. There were various things that factored into my arrangements and a couple of companies that were not flexible; luckily, with the ones that were flexible, I was able to cover the ones that weren't.  Here is a good article I found about what to do when you are late; i.e., what to pay and what not to pay....it has some great tips. So, I learned something new...again:  quite literally, it never hurts to ask. 

Related Posts

Missing Your Payment on Debt Settlement Plan

Should You Put Your Finances in the Blender 

I'm on a DMP, I can't afford my Payment. Can it be lowered?

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• My nine-year-old daughter looked me square in the eyes and asked, "Daddy, why don't you just ask for help?"I couldn't answer her. What a simple question.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)