Well, here we are. November already and Like it or not, the holiday season is upon us!

I, for one, choose to like it. But it hasn't always been easy to enjoy what inevitably is a spendy season. One of my biggest challenges around this time of year is my tendency to procrastinate.

My personal procrastination style (there are so many variations!) is to say, "Somehow this will all get done - I don't know how just at the moment- but I'll worry about the specifics when I have more time to think about it." 

The kicker is, the majority of the time I am able to pull it off... but what could have been a simple walk in the park instead becomes a sprint through an obstacle course.

What I've learned is that procrastination will cost you money. Healthy budgeting comes from good decisions. Good decisions are a product of thoughtful consideration.

When you have very little time and as a result have limited your available options, you're really just sabotaging yourself. And that's no fun.

So, as the holiday's ramp up I try to remind myself why procrastinating does not work for me and how taking a more proactive stance makes for a happier experience all around.

• Procrastination does not allow for comparison shopping. If you're out at the last minute, you've lost out on the opportunity to keep tabs on sales, price out the item at other stores, use time-sensitive coupons, purchase the item online, etc. I don't know how many times I've hemmed and hawed over something only to wind up saying to myself, "I don't care anymore. I'm just getting it, whatever it costs."
  • Procrastination diminishes thoughtfulness. Being strapped for time makes one grabby. Give yourself time to actually reflect on your loved ones and be inspired! It's an awkward feeling to be giving a gift that is generic, hurried, or mismatched.
  • Procrastination is an enemy of the handmade. My Thanksgiving duty is to provide the apple pie. Over the years I've stopped baking them and started bringing store-bought pies. I've fulfilled my obligation, but have I really? Is it really too much for me to bake one pie per year? Of course not. Even if my homemade pie is a little burnt around the edges; I am pretty sure my family will like it better than the supermarket's offering.
  • Procrastination prevents you from enjoying the season. There's so much to do, so spread it out! All of this activity - from dining with old friends, to wrapping up packages, to wandering around the mall, to cooking up your family's favorite treats - is a gift in itself. When you plan, it can be a pleasure; when you procrastinate, it's more than likely a chore. Put on some tunes, mull up some spiced cider, and always take some moments to soak it all in!

Related Links:

Holiday Gifts on a Budget

The Bliss of Forethought for Holiday Shopping

It's Time to Think About the Holidays...and Saving Money

Stacey Pavlick

Stacey is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan, soon to complete her second year on the plan. She is also a contributing writer for the My Journey Out of Debt blog and Single & Settling In blog. She is currently an operations manager for a title insurance company and moonlights as a music reviewer for SpectrumCulture.com. She combines her passion for writing with her passion for getting out of debt to share her struggles and successes along the way. Compensated CareOne Blogger

To follow us click here