Do you know what resources are available in your Community?  I am amazed at how many programs and resources there are in each of our communities whose sole focus is to help people in some way. 

Some feed or shelter those in need, some specifically help women, and some specifically help men; I think it is fairly safe to say that we know the majority of these groups, but what about the ones that help with job training?  Offer free resources for job searches?  Offer workshops regarding financial situations that sometimes include free legal advice or a counselor who will help you start with a plan?  I didn't know. 

Now that I have worked for an agency that helps with job skills, I can say the people we see daily coming into use our resource centers, talk to our career counselors, and take our workshops are just like you and me. 

On any given day, I can talk to a kid right out of high school, someone who owned a successful company that fell victim to the recession, and a retiree that didn't plan right for their retirement and now has to try to find employment again. It goes on and on. 

I talk about this not to depress folks, but to say: we aren't alone.  Debt, unemployment, and struggling financially don't have stereotypes - it is each one of us and it is important that we know about the resources that are out there that we can take advantage of. 

If you have to cut your expenses and turn off your internet, do you know where to go for free computer access?  Have you had someone review your resume lately?  Did you know there are places that will do that and give you career development advice?

Try it; search online for "Community Resources" or put in the name of your town and "employment resources." You will be amazed at what comes up and some of the services that are offered that you can take advantage of, if and when you need them. 

In 2009, my organization saw over 15,000 people for some type of job development - the year before it was about half of that.  See the trend?  Take a look around you and find out what else is out there.  What do you have to lose?

Related Blogs:

Struggling with unemployment? You can still find ways to save

Unemployed and in Debt: Making Money When You're In Between Jobs

Top 7 Free Resources for Employment Acquisition Skills 

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here