Single and Settling In

Single life has its own unique challenges, personally and financially. Hear how these bloggers are making the single life work for them.

The Stress of Debt

Rate This
  • Comments 5

Have you considered your stress levels lately?  I know that I have and it hit me pretty hard in the face. 

I couldn't figure out why I wasn't sleeping well, was tired all the time, kept catching colds quicker than I normally would, and even began gaining weight... until I stopped to evaluate. 

If I am not working, I am worrying.  I am worrying about how to stretch the last dollar I have. 

Who am I going to pay late this month?  What happens if the car breaks down or the dog gets sick?  On my weekends I use to catch up on bills and organize my life - that's no fun!  That's just stress. 

I have figured out that stress has consumed my life; I think it's adding more to my debt problem.  I know initially it doesn't make sense, but if you think about it, yes, we do need to focus on budgeting and our overall finances.

Unfortunately, almost obsessing over it weighs you down. Check out this article.

Does any of it sound familiar?  The reality is that it is only human to feel the pressure of debt and the stress that comes with it, but making yourself sick over it, isn't going to make it any better - only worse!  So we all know we have it, but what can we do about it? Especially when we feel overwhelmed and a bit hopeless? 

I found this article helpful, and guess what?  CareOne is even mentioned as a solution....so I guess we are taking the right steps!

Whatever you are facing regarding your debt, always remember it can be worse and that you can make it better; making yourself sick over it only magnifies your frustrations and fears that are associated with your situation. 

There have been times when I had no idea how I was going to make another week before I got paid again and it consumed me.  In times like those, I usually take a step back, take a deep breath, find someplace where I can just be me, and come up with a plan.  It works for me. 

Somehow no matter how desperate I think things are, they always manage to work out.  Keeping my stress in line is now a task that I have to do on a daily basis.  The pressures will always be there, we just have to learn better ways to deal with them. 

Related Posts:

Got Stress? Work Out

Bake for Stress Relief

Stressed About Debt? Write it Down

Katie Simmons

Katie is a participant in the CareOne Debt Management Plan. Katie is a contributing writer for the Single & settling in blog. Katie's story is not unique.  She lived beyond her means and it caught up to her!  Over 2 years ago she made the decision that no one could get her out of the mess she created with her debt, but her.  Since then, she has embarked on an adventure of learning how to take care of herself without credit cards in her life and how hard it can be to be single and in debt.  She is experiencing every challenge and every success while working her hardest to be debt free. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• This is great advice - I used to do the same thing, especially when I first started the DMP.  Any free cycles I had were consumed with thinking about money, overthinking each purchase to determine if it was the best decision...finally, I decided I just had to find some activities to just be by myself, and clear the brain of everything.  I found, just as you state, that when you give your brain some "me time," solutions to other problems become much easier to see.

• If you're looking for a way to get yourself into a professional, therapeutic environment, doing it within your means is tricky but often possible.

• I devote so much time each day to thinking about money.

• What a great article, Katie!  I don't think I've had another stressor that was more "aggressive" than being in debt.  It completely consumed my thoughts, ate up my energy, and kept me in a negative mood most of the time.  When I finally made the decisive move to join the plan and be proactive about getting out of debt, I found that my mood was lighter and I could think about other things.  Empowering ourselves is tremendous stress management.  Sometimes, when I was feeling desperate, the most "empowering" thing I was able to do was sit out in the sun, take some long deep breaths, and take in the beauty of the world around me.  It was a mini vacation from stressful thoughts, and although tiny, it tided me over for awhile.

• Don't kid yourself, this ailing economy can ruin your health!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)