In College and Starting Out

In college and just starting out as young adults, read along as these bloggers face a new stage and increased responsibility.
  • In College and Starting Out

Half-Priced College Degree

• 3 Comments
    After I graduated from high school, I wasn’t sure of which degree I wanted to pursue or where I wanted to go to college. So, instead of trying to find my niche at an expensive university, I decided to give community college a try. A good idea, I must say, because most community colleges are set up as pay per credit instead of a large lump sum. A perfect situation for someone like me! I attended my community college for two years, for approximately $12,000, compared to $20,000 at a major university. In those two years, I was able to take all of my general education courses, plus others devoted to my major, with most transferring to my chosen university. Going to a community college gave me the room and time I needed to explore my options -- without incurring major debt. ...

Summer Weekend Fun for College Students – Without Breaking the Bank!

• 2 Comments
    I love summer. That’s true for most college students, but a summer job and the stress of saving for next semester can put a damper on summer activities. My friends and I have become very frugal over the years, because we know what it’s like to be in college without the funds to do things on the weekends. Even though we’re older now, we’re still savers and know how to have a low-cost weekend of summer fun. Our favorite summer activity is going to the drive-in. It’s much cheaper than going to the theater. A ticket costs less than a ticket at the movie theater, plus we get to see two movies for the price of one. We pack up the cooler with drinks and snacks - which is cheaper than buying food at the snack bar. ...

Affordable Health Care for College Students

• 0 Comments
    After graduating high school, my parents were forced to cancel our families’ health insurance, due to increasing costs. My father had several medical conditions that couldn’t go without attention, so he signed up for Medicare, but my mother and I were not as fortunate to have the opportunity. Since that time, five years ago, my mother and I have been without health insurance, which is a growing problem for many families and college students. In fact, approximately 30 percent of college students don’t have health insurance. As one of those students, I know how hard it is to go through college without financial medical help – not to mention the fear “if something happens.” ...
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

In addition to the blogs, be sure to check out the new CareOne Groups:

Starting Out

Are you finally out on your own and figuring out how to balance your finances? If so, this is the group for you. In Starting Out, you can talk about the challenges you are dealing with in a group of like-minded people.

Settling In

Do you feel like you are finally understanding what being a "grown-up" is all about and are settling into your adult life? If so, this is the group for you. In Settling In you can connect with others who are just like you.

Balancing It All

Struggling to balance all that an established lifestyle has to offer? The balancing it all group is for you. Discuss the challenges you face when your responsibilities at work, at home and with family and friends all compete for your attention.

The New Retirement

Are you currently retired or planning on retiring very soon? If so, this is the group for you. Times have changed and so has retirement. Learn how others are redefining retirement.