In College and Starting Out

In college and just starting out as young adults, read along as these bloggers face a new stage and increased responsibility.

Ways to Save For the Future

• Comments 2

Since I've graduated from college, I constantly wonder what the future holds. 

I wonder about what kind of  career I'll have, where I'll live, if I'll rent or buy a home, when I'll get married and start a family, etc. 

All of these thoughts make me nervous, because I think to myself "What if I never get a good job?"; "How will I be able to build my own family?" 

Since these thoughts were beginning to plague me, my fiancé and I decided to start making plans to save for our future.

Here is what we came up with.  

• Savings account.  We are going to open a joint savings account.  We'll set aside money from each paycheck to enable us to save for things like; our wedding, our first home, bills, and anything else that comes our way.  It's going to take some time to build up the savings account, but we intend on starting as soon as possible. 
  • 401k plans.  Another way we're going to save money is by taking advantage of 401k plans to aid us in our financial future.  My fiancé has had a 401k for almost two years at his current job, but I have not had the opportunity to invest in one yet.  Once, I find a full-time job, my plan is to contribute to a 401k, as well.  This will help to save for retirement or for emergencies. 
  • Pay off debt.  We also intend to pay off all of our credit card debt before we start a family.  My fiancé has been enrolled in a Debt Management Plan for the past year, and I am not far behind.  Debt Management Plans will help us to be debt-free within the next three to five years, which is a tremendous relief.  Eliminating unnecessary expenses can really help in the process of saving money.  Now, if we could only get rid of those pesky student loans! 

These are just a few ways to help us save for our future, but they are a good starting point.  I hope that in the next year I find a job, start planning my wedding, and begin to move out of my parents' home.  After I start saving for the future, I know that my worries will lessen and I'll start to feel more prepared. 

Do you have any tips on how to save money?  Please, share with us your money saving secrets!  

• Basically, you can devise the most "foolproof" plan, but there's no guarantee that it will end up successful or work to your advantage. With this being the case, I'm not insinuating that you shouldn't plan at all. However, even if your plans change (which

• There are numerous ways to save money, such as a using a savings account, joining a credit union, stuffing money under a mattress, burying a box of cash in the backyard, or saving change.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)