"Goin' Green"; how familiar are you with this term? In the past few years more and more people are becoming aware of this idea and are focusing on "green" initiatives. Is it important? Definitely. Should you become involved in these initiatives? Definitely. Are you faced with the question of how to become involved? It's okay if your response is consistent, and this too is, definitely.

There are a number of different ways to become involved in "green" initiatives. I'll even tell you about a few initiatives that won't take a lot of your cash; the other green that we are all familiar with. I can't think of a better time to jump on this bandwagon with this being the week of Earth Day. It has been 40 years since the first Earth Day celebration. Many individuals as well as organizations become involved by recognizing this day. Some activities to participate in are:

• Planting trees with local community organizations
  • Cleaning up litter in your neighborhood
  • Using recyclable bags
  • Eating sustainable food products
  • Working in your garden

I am partnering up with a couple of student organizations on campus as well as a local city school. We will plant trees in celebration of Earth Day. I have participated in tree planting ceremonies in the past and believe that this is a great way to become involved. Planting trees is just one of the ways to celebrate this day. Some of the benefits gained by planting trees are providing shade, decreasing the level of CO2 in the atmosphere, and improved visual landscape.

There are a number of activities that you can participate in which will help you save some cash, the other green that I referred to earlier. Some actions that I'd recommend are the following:

• Use CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs) instead of incandescent (regular) light bulbs
  • Hand wash some of your clothing
  • Walk instead of driving
  • Ride your bike when it's too far to walk
  • Carpool and/or group your errands together when you can

So, what do you think of this concept of "goin' green"? In my opinion it's not too bad after all. I think that becoming more involved in these initiatives makes us appreciate the little things in life that we so often take for granted. Examples of these are our health, electricity, water, among other convenience's that we tend to overlook at times.

Please share with me some ways that you recently participated in the "green" initiatives. I always try to group my errands together to save on gas, and as long as the weather is cooperative I will walk instead of driving. What are some of the activities that you have celebrated/or plant to participate in honor of Earth Day? The benefit gained from this is saving money and doing good things while saving money at the same time. How's that for a great life lesson?