Just Graduated and Starting Out

Just graduated and starting out bloggers examine life after school. Read along as they manage their debt and expenses, while trying to make a living.

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

• Comments 7

There are numerous ways to save money, such as:

• Using a savings account
  • Joining a credit union
  • Stuffing money under a mattress
  • Burying a box of cash in the backyard
  • Saving change

Some of these ways are more traditional than others, but everyone has tried at least once to save their spare change. 

To some, saving spare change is a waste of time; but, from my experience, spare change can add up to a decent amount of money.  I've found that patience and a large pickle jar (the ones found at delis) is the way to go.  If you don't like pickles, consider an old-fashioned piggy bank, a "Kool-Aid" container, a coffee can, etc.   

I started saving my spare change during my freshman year of college. 

A friend of mine suggested the idea and ever since I've been a change-saving machine.  Every time I use cash somewhere, I put the coins I receive as change into my large pickle jar.  Also, whenever I find coins under the bed, under a couch cushion, in the dryer, or in my pocket, I place them in the jar. 

I try not to cash in the change until the jar is full, but sometimes I've had to cash it in early.  The most money I've ever accumulated was $235, which helped me to buy books one semester. 

Another thing to take advantage of when saving coins is to watch for promotions from places like Coinstar.  Sometimes Coinstar has promotions where they allow you to cash in your coins for free.  Try saving your change until you hear about a promotion and then cash in. You can save a lot of money this way!   

I prefer using Coinstar over a bank, since I don't have to actually roll the coins.  Though, if you prefer not to pay a fee - a bank is right for you.  Also, some local businesses may take your spare coins because they're always looking for change. 

Saving spare change can be very helpful - it can help you to pay a credit card off, buy books for school, buy holiday gifts, etc.  If you have young kids, or nieces or nephews, try saving your spare change until the child's 18th birthday.  Then give them the money as a gift. 

Can you imagine how much money you could save for them?   

Do you save your spare change?  If so, how much money have you saved? 

What are some other generic ways you save your money?  Please, share with us!

Related Posts:

Utilize your Savings Account

Ways to Save For the Future

Saving Money after the Holidays

Mary StolarikMary Stolarik

Mary is a contributing writer for the CareOne Debt Relief Services blog, A Straight Talk on Debt. She is a recent college graduate, with an English Writing degree from the University of PittsburghGreensburg, and she’s in debt. Mary shares her experiences whils job hunting, managing her finances while only working part-time and saving for a wedding! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services. Read more posts by Mary under the Just Graduated & Starting Out blog.

To follow CareOne click here!

The CareOne Spending Journal Keep Track of Your Spending with a Free Spending Journal Download

• I would always save my change for the toll roads... My friends and I would get a kick out of watching the machine count the pennies!

• In fact, I know I have said and thought the same exact thing: "How do you expect me to save when I live paycheck to paycheck?" or, "I have heard it is better to pay off your debt before putting money in savings.

• With the Thanksgiving holiday around the corner, it's important to remember to be thankful for all of the good in our lives - especially those who have helped us through tough times.

• Here are a few tips that will help you to have the money you need when you head to the shops.

• To prepare for these upcoming seasonal events, it's a good idea to look at our budgets and clean them up before the spending spree begins.

• It may seem crazy, but the holidays are almost here and it's a good time to start making your gift list. Since I've gotten older, I believe that having a plan for your finances and being prepared is the best way to stay ahead of the financial crunch.

• Happy Friday my frugal friends! Did you know that just this week, CareOne debuted Financially Fit TV on Blip.TV? It's true! The pilot episode focuses on tips that help young adults avoid financial troubles before they start. The segment features guest

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)