The season of tricks and treats is upon us, which means it's time for a party.  Every year, my friends and I throw a Halloween party to get the fall/winter months started off right.  Halloween is a fun holiday for children and adults alike, and as an adult you can throw that infamous toga party at a reasonable price. 

Below are some tips for frugal Halloween fun:

Make your own costume:  Halloween costumes are expensive, especially for adults.  Some costumes can cost hundreds of dollars.  To save yourself some money, get creative and make your own costume.  There are many sites that will help you to craft a spooky, imaginative, and fun costume.  You can use things that you already have or you may have to buy a few inexpensive supplies.  Either way, you're saving a ton of money.  If you're like me and are not crafty and don't feel comfortable making your own costume, consider looking at a thrift store or on eBay.  You're guaranteed to find something amazing, either way.  I've bought my costumes on eBay for years! 

Make it a potluck:  Providing food for your guests can become very pricy, so it's good to have all of your friends bring a covered dish.  The food doesn't have to be outrageous -- consider just having chips, appetizers, and, of course, Halloween candy.  When everyone chips in for food, it saves everyone money.  Plus, you will have a wonderful variety of goodies.  I also like to ask some guests to bring paper products. 

Make your own fun:  Music and games are essential to any party and there are many inexpensive entertainment options.  When it comes to music for the party, be your own D.J..  Hook up your iPod or play some CDs and your guests will be grooving in no time.  There are many cool games out there, such as murder mystery games, but those can be expensive.  Consider writing your own murder mystery, which I've done, or break out the board games and cards.  You may even want to bob for apples!  To add a bit of nostalgia to the party, play a scary movie in the background.

These are only a few ways that you can help yourself to have a frugal, yet fun, Halloween party, but these should help you get off to a good start. 

What are some ways that you save on a party?  Please, share with us all of your Halloween party tricks! 

Related Articles:

7 Tips for Saving When Your Income is Not Steady

Holiday Spending Strategy to Keep Your Bank Account Merry and Bright

A Penny Saved is a Penny Earned

Mary Stolarik

Mary is a contributing writer for the Just Graduated & Starting Out blog. She is a recent college graduate, with an English Writing degree from the University of Pittsburgh - Greensburg, and she's in debt. Mary shares her experiences with job searching, managing her finances on a part-time job, and ways to save money along the way. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here