Just Graduated and Starting Out

Just graduated and starting out bloggers examine life after school. Read along as they manage their debt and expenses, while trying to make a living.

De-stress to impress!

• Comments 1

Starting a new job can be one of the most stressful times in your life. The transition can be especially trying if you have to move to a new city for the job.  I've felt the stress that couples this transplant and somehow made it out alive. I want to extend a helping hand to you, since I would have killed for one or two. When you're stress-free you can think more clearly, enjoy your new life, meet new people, and excel at your job. Be a better friend and colleague by avoiding fatigue, irritability, and burnout.

Now let's get you there. I've listed the top 5 things that saved me a couple of friends and a few grey hairs.

Try essential oils. I swear by these. If you don't know much about them or don't how to use them check out http://www.auracacia.com//. There are plenty of recipes for morning and night, so whenever stress hits you hardest you know you'll always have a proper defense. If you have an iPhone, download the AuraCacia app. It's great for on-the-go remedies. The great thing about the app is that it has aromatherapy recipes built right in so it's perfect for beginners.

Take yoga classes. No, these are not "For Hippies Only." Everyone is welcome, at whatever level. The benefits are undeniable. If you don't feel like braving a class right away, find a hard surface at home and rent a yoga book from the public library. I recommend Rodney Yee's moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee. There are pictures and everything!

Use deep breathing exercises. The beauty of these is you can perform them virtually anywhere. I do them at my desk when I feel the tension building in my shoulders. I also like to do them in the mornings to get a fresh start to the day. Sit up straight, place your hands on the tops of your thighs, and fill your lungs. When you fill them as full as you possibly can, exhale completely. It will take some getting used to but you should literally push the air out of your lungs completely.

Take a break. Sometimes there is so much going on at work we forget to take time to walk away, completely remove ourselves from what we were doing, and take a few deep breaths. It helps to take a ten-minute walk around the office building to get the creative juices flowing again and boost productivity.

Read a book or pick up an instrument. I'll be the first to admit that I am not musically talented, however, I can read. Opening a book on the crowded subways instantly calms me. I hear playing the piano and strumming the guitar are great as well.

What are your favorite ways to de-stress? Leave me a comment in the field below and I would be happy to add them to my regimen!

Related Posts by Michelle:

Labor Day Resolutions

Love Your Body and Your Wallet

6 Tips to Prepare for Your First Day on a New Job

Michelle Reed

Michelle is an ambitious college graduate from the Midwest relocating to New York City to pursue her career in Social Media Marketing. She is a contributing writer for the Just Graduated & Starting Out blog. Despite it being one of the most expensive cities in the world, Michelle feels that she will be able to succeed in the Big Apple with the financial tips and tricks she has learned throughout her college years. Follow her journey of budgeting, sacrificing, and ultimately surviving on an entry level salary in the city. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• If you're looking for a way to get yourself into a professional, therapeutic environment, doing it within your means is tricky but often possible.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)