Just Graduated and Starting Out

Just graduated and starting out bloggers examine life after school. Read along as they manage their debt and expenses, while trying to make a living.

Discipline + Determination = Positive Direction for the Future

• Comments 1

If I had to choose one characteristic about myself that has attributed to my current success, I would pick my determination. Call it what you want-- discipline, tenacity, persistence, will power or diligence-- but I believe that with a strong determination the road to success becomes a lot easier.

Sure, you have to accept that if life gives you lemons, you need to make lemonade.

What is meant by this is with a positive attitude and will power you can certainly achieve your goals and move forward with your life. Many people look up to Michael Jordan as one of the greatest athletes of all-time and I credit this to his positive attitude. As quoted in the past, Jordan said "I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games. On 26 occasions, I have been trusted to take the game winning shot, and I have missed. In fact, I have failed over and over again in my life, and that is why I succeed."

The combination of positive thinking with the basic "IT" steps below for goals will benefit your personal and professional career in the long run. Use my example of finding an internship during my senior year in college.

Define IT. This is step one. What is your target? What direction is you headed for your future? My goal was easily defined, as I was hoping to obtain an internship for my senior year.

Assign IT. Once you've defined what your goal is, you must assign a time frame which is realistic to complete this in. I realized that if I wanted to start my internship in September, I had to plan ahead since the interview process takes some time.

Record IT. After you've defined your goal, and assigned a time frame, you need to write this down and document it so that you keep it. I clearly defined that I was looking for an internship for my senior year starting in September. It was a lot easier to pursue with this in mind.

Brainstorm IT. With a goal in mind, a time frame, and documentation, it is now time to brainstorm a strategy you will implement to reach your goal. I made sure to reach out to all of my contacts to land a potential internship opportunity. Use of social networks, email, phone calls, and in-person meetings were helpful for interviewing and finding an internship.

Re-record IT. Since I already had my goal clearly defined with an assigned time frame, in addition to documenting my game plan, it was now time for the final documentation. Re-recording of this is important to ensure you meet your objectives.

Evaluate IT. When your time criterion is met, evaluate to see if you reached your goal. Come September I was able to rest assured, as I had an internship that fell in place.

Unfortunately, failure is a must, and you must fail before you can succeed. With the tips I outlined for obtaining your goals, you can put your mind to work and test the waters. Positive thinking will go a long way in life. Think about your 1 year, 3 year, and 5 year plans for your future. Do you have goals in place? Have you thought about how you will reach them? Be realistic and remember hard work does pay off.

Related Links:

5 Easy Steps to Accomplish Your Goals

It is What it is 

Lessons for the Common People: The Rich and Famous in Debt

Dov Hoffman

Dov is a contributing writer for the Just Graduated & Starting Out blog.  Dov is a recent graduate of Towson University and has earned a double major in e-Business and Marketing.  Dov shares his college experience writing about student loans, credit cards, budgeting, and other topics affecting recent college graduates who are entering the workforce.  Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• Reaching your goals can be a tiresome slog, but it doesn't have to be an act of sheer miserable force of will. Here are some tips to help you maintain the discipline to reach your goals - with minimal pain and lots to gain.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)