Routinely people will acknowledge something which they are thankful for in their life, but it rarely occurs as often as it should.

I can include myself in this group. Almost every week I give thanks for Friday with a nice loud TGIF on my way home from work. Grouping these four letters together means that I had an accomplished week, am able to enjoy a nice home-cooked meal, and can rest up for the weekend.

However, this isn't the only time I give thanks. Including myself, I don't think we recognize all of the good in our lives, which we should give thanks for on a daily basis.

Without too much thought I was able to come up with a list of ten items that I am thankful for. I plan to refocus my thoughts and express my gratitude more often than once a week, starting this Friday. Below are my ten items and I plan on growing this list with time.

• My Parents. Without my parents I would not have the opportunity to share my gratitude for the rest of my list. Also, without my parents I would not have been able to experience all that I have throughout my life so far. Thank you Mom and Dad.
  • My Friends. I am thankful for the friends that I have made over the years. A friend is someone who you can count on and vice-a-versa. It is certainly important to have such people that you can trust.
  • My Shelter. Having a place which I can call home is certainly something to be thankful for. Unfortunately, there are individuals who are struggling to have shelter.  
    A roof above my head and a place to sleep at night ranks high on my list.
  • My College. The last four years of my life have been a tremendous experience. I have learned a lot in and out of the classroom during this time. I am currently using qualities in my everyday life which I was fortunate enough to have developed during my college years.
  • My Travels. I've traveled to more places than I would have imagined at the age of 23. Exploring the world and visiting Israel, England, France, Greece, Mexico, Iceland, Jamaica, Netherlands, Panama, as well as the Cayman Islands has opened my eyes to different cultures.
  • My Financial Situation. I am thankful to have received scholarships throughout my collegiate experience. I have been able to eliminate some of my current debt with the strong work ethic which I've developed over the past few years.
  • My Health. I am proud to say that I am in pretty good shape for someone of my age. Although I've had two surgeries on my wrist, luckily I'm able to breathe and enjoy life on a daily basis.
  • My Teachers. Four years ago I probably wouldn't have included teachers on my list. Over the years I've learned that these are individuals who are devoted to making sure that you walk out of the classroom a more intelligent person than when you walked in. That's speaks pretty loudly in my book.
  • My Grandparents. I have only one living grandparent; however, I have enjoyed the time that I've spent with my other grandparents. There is a special bond between grandparents and grandchildren and that is something which I am thankful for.
  • My Job. I am certainly thankful for landing a job after graduating in one of the worst job markets. My current role offers room for growth, which is a blessing.

I'm also adding a new one to the list. TGIT. Thank God it's today! I've realized that we don't have to wait until Friday or Thanksgiving to express our gratitude and appreciation. Don't get me wrong, Thanksgiving is a great holiday to celebrate the harvest with prayers for provision and safety, but we can share our thanks more often than on this one day.

My challenge to you is to come up with a list of ten items which you are thankful for. How many of your items are unique and differ from mine? How many are the same? Please share with me what you are thankful for, as I'd love to hear your stories.

Related Links: 'Tis the Season.....Already?

The Art of Accepting Compliments 

Ten Things to Be Thankful For

Dov Hoffman

Dov is a contributing writer for the Just Graduated & Starting Out blog. Dov is a recent graduate of Towson University and has earned a double major in e-Business and Marketing. Dov shares his college experience writing about student loans, credit cards, budgeting, and other topics affecting recent college graduates who are entering the workforce. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here