It is so hard to believe that summer is coming to an end already!  We only have four weeks left, but I must admit that I am looking forward to cooler weather. We went from winter directly into summer heat, with no spring temperatures this year. It was a record-breaking cold winter, and I know it is going to be a record-breaking summer here in Florida.  

Well, we are stretching out these last few weeks by doing a lot of things before the fall weather hits us. I want to get some things in order around the house. Wow, do those closets and drawers ever get cluttered?! You forget what's even hidden in them! The other day I was so excited after I found a special white ceramic cream pitcher I had been looking for; I searched in every corner of my kitchen, only to find it in the dining room hutch. And forget trying to find anything in my clothes closet. There must be thirty pocketbooks thrown up on the shelf and so many Capri pants hanging in my closet. I need to pull them out and match them up with some new tops for the fall. We will start our clothing collection for the Haven, which is a home for abused spouses and their children.  

We have decided to take one more trip in August for a long weekend to St. Augustine; that will be the extent of our vacation, which will celebrate my birthday and our 48th wedding anniversary. We love the beach and it is only an hour from our home, so we will take some visits there on Saturdays during our last few weeks of summer.  

In September, we will be heading back up to MD to visit family for ten days and to attend a dinner for my oldest son's retirement from the Marines. So, it will be a time of reunion with all of the children, grandchildren, my mom, aunts and uncles. What a wonderful way to end the summer with our family, which is so special to us--especially since we are 14 hours away from all of them and only get to see them twice a year.   

We will make each summer day special by getting up early in the morning and taking a nice walk, enjoying the beautiful flowers and landscapes, and then jumping in the golf cart and heading down to the Square for some last minute summer sale shopping! In the evening, we will go to Olllie's and get a frozen custard ice cream cone and dance at the Square to one of the live bands that play every night.  

One wonderful aspect of living in Florida is the terrific weather we have all year round. The temperatures always remain warm and it is a beautiful, sunny day every day of the year with a 20-minute shower each afternoon to water the flowers and grass. Our slogan is "It's A Lovely Day in The Villages" and that is so true!

Linda Reese

Linda is a contributing writer for the Retired & Loving it blog. Linda is retired, married, and enjoying her retirement in a retirement community in Florida. She shares her experiences with others who are facing retirement or already there with posts on living on a fixed income, budgeting, and healthcare issues. Compensated CareOne Blogger.