Retired and Loving It

Retirement is not without its financial challenges. Learn how our retired bloggers are handling life on a fixed income.

School is in and fall is upon us

• Comments 2

Now that school is in session and fall is here, we are already busy preparing for the holidays. I have even started my Christmas list as most of our family live in the North and it takes a while to purchase and ship everything to them. It is also the time to consider if we will send Christmas cards. If so, do we send out the usual card, with our family photo and a nice holiday message on it? We need to start thinking about taking photos of the four of us: Hubby and me, and Lucy and Roxy (the two Chihuahuas!), as the dogs are so difficult to photograph. There is just so much planning when September comes.  

Since we have no school age children, that lessens the work a lot. No more shopping for school supplies and clothes. I am still working about 30 hours a week, so I have very full weeks. But, we still make time to support our kids in the High School in the Villages with all of their sporting events. As boosters, we volunteer to assist with special events, refreshment stands, and clean up. Our Villages High School football team is so popular with the local grandparents that every Friday night the grandstands are packed. It sure is a lot of fun and brings back lots of fond memories of our own son's football days-- such nostalgia. I remember all of the games we attended during the cold winter evenings when we supported my oldest son as he played defensive- end during his Senior year, then graduated and entered the Marines. Now we will be going back to Maryland this month to attend his retirement ceremony from the Marines! It's so hard to believe it has been 30 years.  

Our Car Club meets monthly now to determine which trips we are going to take during the beautiful fall weather. We have planned a weekend in St. Augustine and that will be celebrating my birthday and 48th wedding anniversary. Even though you work a job here, you make plans for the weekends and evenings to just have fun. There is just so much to do and so many activities that it is very hard to just sit still. 

Someone is always calling and coordinating an event. I received a call this evening and was invited to attend a Health and Nutrition Class where the Plastic Surgeon was speaking on the topic of maintaining beautiful skin when you mature. Well, that sure is me-- mature!! I wanted to go but also had a Bible Study class at my church that meets on Mondays. This can definitely be a very hectic time of year, but it is also very exciting as we anticipate being with family around the holidays.

Linda Reese

Linda is a contributing writer for the Retired & Loving it blog. Linda is retired, married, and enjoying her retirement in a retirement community in Florida. She shares her experiences with others who are facing retirement or already there with posts on living on a fixed income, budgeting, and healthcare issues. Compensated CareOne Blogger.

To follow us click here

• If you are looking for some quality information, tips on saving and more; than browse our blogs! We have fantastic bloggers from all ages and walks of life; who all share one thing in common; they are focused on finances! Here are this week's featured

• But now that I am working fulltime, I absolutely love it because during those 18 months I was home retired, I actually got bored. My mind just wasn't being stimulated and I sure missed my "own money" to spend on those non-essential items that women love

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)