The Grass is Always Greener - Picking a SidePicture a beautiful and serene golf course, with rolling hills of luscious green fairways and a group of golfers about to tee off. An older gentleman in the group makes a very casual but profound comment just before he steps up to the tee box. He says, "When I wake up on this side of the grass I know I am doing alright!"

Everyone chuckles and the foursome set out on their relaxing day of golf with each other. It is a simple reminder that even though things may be temporarily burdensome in your life, they are not going to last forever and it is never that bad! Hence being on top of the grass is lot better than be laid to rest below it.

For many of us, life is about keeping perspective with everything we experience. I remember the quote, "Life is 10% of what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it". And so it is with you and your debt goal.

In my opinion, the 90% reaction factor is more specifically a measure of your motivation.

I am motivated every day I wake up in the morning. The joy of the simple things gives me motivation to continue down this journey we call life. There are many of us who are filled with a zest for living as I am, but there are many who are wallowing in their personal challenges.  

I have adopted this mental exercise whenever a challenge or minor issue arises, I asked myself, "Will this (event or occurrence) matter five years from now?" In most cases, the answer is "No." Once I have come to that determination, I feel balanced and mentally upright as I should. 

Being motivated is a choice. When we learn to commit, to do all of the hard and mundane work it takes to achieve a goal, this is the moment we obtain some level of success.

It is not a question of 'if' a challenge will rear its ugly head, it is a question of when. At that moment, what will you draw on to see you through that challenge, to be prepared to overcome?

Having motivation with a clear vision is always a plus. Motivation is the vehicle that gets you to your goal. Without motivation, I would not have a college degree. Without motivation the likelihood of me having a master's degree would be remote. Without motivation, I probably would not be a homeowner. 

For me, motivation is a skill that was taught to me by my parents. I think of motivation as part of my DNA makeup. My parents were the best example anyone could have. They were hard working, humble people who made a life for themselves and their family.

So to paraphrase the gentleman on the golf course in my opening, I do believe it is much better to wake up on this side of the grass. This life we have is all that we have.

Please allow me to close with another wonderful quote, "GOD and Nature first made us what we are, and then out of own created genius we make ourselves what we want to be. Follow always that great law. Let the sky and GOD be our limit and Eternity our measurement."

To read more blogs by Debt Management Plan graduate Joe click here.

CareOne Services, Inc. Debt Management Plan Graduate Blogger, Joe ThompsonJoseph Thompson

Joe Thompson has been a Debt Management Plan (DMP) customer with CareOne Debt Relief Services since September 2008 and recently graduated to become debt-free!! Joe Thompson is active in many non-profit areas including; acting as Site Director for I.S. 8 NIKE Youth Basketball and has served as a mentor to many young inner city youths. As a hobby, Joe is a high school and college basketball referee in the New Jersey tri state area. Having officially completed the Debt Management Plan, Joe Thompson is excited to share what his experience on the DMP was like as well as what made his experience a successful one. Look for more posts under the My Journey out of Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.

To follow CareOne click here!