Getting Organized and Ready for Summer!!!

My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Getting Organized and Ready for Summer!!!

• Comments 1

Getting Organized and Ready for Summer!!!The weather is getting warmer, the days are getting longer, and we're leaving the windows open more often at night. Spring is definitely here, which means summer break for the kids isn't too far off.

For my family, summertime represents a major change in our finances. Vonnie is a preschool teacher and therefore gets the summer off from dealing with a classroom full of wonderful, imaginative, 3 to 5 year olds. It also means she takes the summer off from getting paid. 

To ensure we are "summer ready," our finances have to be a well-oiled machine. We need a plan. A vision, if you will. 

To properly execute such a grand vision, we will need to be organized. To me, organization means a list, so Vonnie and I sat down and made a list of the things we need to accomplish to have our finances hitting on all cylinders by the time we are reduced to a single income for three months:

Revisit the Budget

We've recently made some significant changes that have increased the amount of funds we have available each month. We need to make sure we're tracking all of our spending, and making the best use of those extra funds.

Saving for the Summer Months

Speaking of making the best use of those extra funds, they are coming in handy to help us save for the summer months when Vonnie is off of work. Have we saved enough money to be able to keep the budget the same, or do we have to cut costs somewhere to make up for the shortfall in income?

Review Monthly Expenses

We like to do this every couple of months to ensure that the money we are spending on each monthly expense is still worth it. We almost always find something we can reduce or eliminate.

Review our Mortgage

Mortgage interest rates are at historic lows. It's worthwhile to at least explore refinancing and see if it would be to our benefit.

Review and Renew our Commitment in Our "System"

We had been having budget discussions once a week. This is working okay, but it could be better. I think I'd like to change and have a scheduled discussion on Thursdays to make sure we're on the same page in regards to the upcoming weekend and what we're going to spend our money on. Then, have a follow-up discussion on Sunday to see how we did, and plan for the upcoming week(s).

By getting organized and planning ahead now, we're sure to have a spectacular, fun-filled summer, without the worries of being short on cash.

How are you getting your finances ready for summer?

Related Links:

4 Tips for Organizing Your Finances

The Sustained Behavior of Being Organized-Including Your Finances

Straight Talk on Debt Weekly Reading: Organizing Your Finances

Travis Pizel, CareOne Debt Relief Services, Customer Blog, My Journey Out of DebtTravis Pizel

Travis is a contributing writer for the My Journey out of Debt blog and is a very active member of the CareOne community forums. Travis is currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP). Travis very candidly shares his personal journey to pay off his debt and the tips he's learned along the way. As a father and husband he provides a unique perspective on balancing debt, finances, and family. You can also follow along with Travis on his personal blog, Our Journey to Zero. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Follow Travis on Twitter @DebtChronicles

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • I used this roblox robux generator in playing roblox and i easily defeated all my opponents in this massively multiplayer game.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)