Little Steps to Help You Out of Debt Getting out of debt is a process that takes little steps. The reason you're here is the first step, which is recognizing that your finances are getting out of control and that you need to do something about it. Joining a debt management plan like the one CareOne offers can be one of those steps.  

Now, I have talked about the next two steps before, but I really believe these are important.

First, make an expense sheet to track how you spend your money. Every time you spend money-whether for bills, eating out, gas, groceries, clothes, or whatever-keep track of it, add it up, and look back to see where your money is going at the end of the month. (We did this for two or three months).  Now that you know where your money is going you can see where you can save money. Using your expense sheet as a guide, you should make a budget. You know what must get paid and what you can put off. You can postpone trips or buying something new. 

Another little step to consider is whether you need to bring more income into the home; for instance, is a part-time job necessary? However, this is not always possible, depending on your situation. You may already be stretched to your limit, or there may be health issues that make it impossible. If you have to buy certain items, there are coupons you can use to save money. You can also watch for sales on the essential items you must buy. For items you need but don't have the money to buy brand new, check out any thrift stores in your area.  

When you reach a point where you have a little extra money, try to start adding to a savings account. Even if it is only five or ten dollars, a little adds up over time. Another step that will help you significantly over time is to maintain good spending habits and get rid of bad ones.  

What do I mean by bad spending habits? Here is an example:  

Some people love to browse stores for hours just to pass the time away. They like going into those specialty shops where you go when you need to find a gift for that special someone that you just can't find anywhere else. And oftentimes, people who are just browsing  find something nice they want and buy it. It wasn't that they needed it. 

My opinion is you can go into almost any store and find something you like. If you don't have extra money, I mean when you are struggling to pay medical bills or credit card bills, you shouldn't be spending money on things you do not need. 

My advice is to stay out of those stores. Find something else to do like take a walk or visit a friend or relative. Just do something that will keep you from being tempted to buy something you really can do without. At least until you get your bills back under control. 

In closing, there are many little steps you can take to get out of debt.

I am sure you can think of more. When you find one you will know and be proud of yourself for each little step you take. We were thrilled when we saved ten dollars by changing the laundry detergent we use.  

If you couldn't tell, these are all experience we went through. Getting out of debt is taking the little steps one at a time.  

Dennis Bauman, CareOne Debt Management Plan Graduate BloggerDennis Bauman
Dennis Bauman has been on a Debt Management Plan (DMP) customer with CareOne Debt Relief Services since October of 2007 and recently graduated to become debt-free!! Dennis Bauman works in the manufacturing industry, creating floor tile. Having officially completed the Debt Management Plan, Dennis Bauman is excited to share what his experience on the DMP was like as well as what made his experience a successful one. Look for more posts under the My Journey Out of Debt blog. Compensated CareOne Debt Relief Services Blogger.