My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Become the Best you can be!

• Comments 3

Become the Best you can be!I have reached the age of retirement and answer to no one except myself. I don't have to get up at a certain time, nor do I have a set routine each day. I'm finding that my retirement years are just as happy and fulfilling, if not more so, as my working years. 

Part of my success in having a happy and fulfilling life after all those years of working is due to my constant effort to try new things. Living on a fixed income is a huge inducement to try creative ways to stretch my retirement dollars. In this stage of life, it is very important not to become stagnant and never try anything new. In my life, creativity counts! 

Here's an example of some creative thinking that provided my husband and me with some extra dollars: we simply saved aluminum cans and turned them into cash by taking them to a local recycler on Senior Citizens Day. Sure, it took a while to accumulate enough cans to get the cash; but, in the end, our first trip to the recyclers netted us a little over $280. We considered this venture a success and continue to save all the aluminum cans we can get. 

Some collaborative creative thinking caused us to have our electric company perform an energy audit on our home. We learned several ways to improve our electric use which would save us money. Did you know that just by lowering the water temperature on your water heater you can save money? We changed the temperature setting from 140 degrees to 120 degrees and, according to the energy audit, this change should save us around $50 per year. That's not huge, but when you are looking for ways to save money, don't snub your nose at the smaller stuff.

I have said all this to make the point that successful people make things happen in their lives and creativity is one of the tools they use. They tend to think out of the box and may have some problems getting their ideas recognized and appreciated. But, no matter what, these people do not give up! They just keep trying to improve, refine, and sell their ideas. And we have had some super creative thinkers whose ideas have improved the lives and working conditions for a great deal of people.

• Amazon.com was the first big e-commerce company
  • E-bay was the first on-line auction site
  • Starbucks was the first company to popularize gourmet coffee

Imagine the time and effort it took for the creators of these giant companies to turn their ideas into reality. No doubt, it took a good deal of innovation (creativity) to get their ideas off the ground, but once they did, just look at where they went. Time after time, it is proven that creativity and success go hand in hand. Remember, just because one person doesn't appreciate your idea, it's your "baby" and you need to stay positive. A truly successful person stays away from negativity and stays focused on making an idea a reality. 

All of us are working on making an idea a reality. We have enrolled in one of CareOne's debt relief plans and we are working to become debt free.  It's hard to stick with the plan at times, but most of us find a way to keep going. All of us have to become creative at living on a budget so that in the end we will achieve success and be debt free. This is no small matter and, at times, we may feel like giving up. But, we don't give up-we find a way to go on. We're talking about creative thinking now. 

Remember creativity and success go hand in hand. You may have to take a second job, or start using public transportation rather than driving your own vehicle. You may have to give up a gym membership or magazine subscriptions. Creative thinking will allow you to find a way to stay on course and complete your plan. At that time, you are debt free and success is yours!

Success is not a destination, it is a journey. You have to practice continuously to achieve success. You have to improve your knowledge, skills, and abilities, according to the needs of the changing times. Read life stories of great achievers to inspire you to do more and achieve more.

As I said, I have reached the age of retirement, so my focus on creativity is different. I'm looking to improve my lifestyle, enhance my resources, and feel good about the things I do. My successes will be different because they will not be world shaking. But I will continue to strive to reach new levels of success and fun.

Kimberly Johns, My Journey Out of Debt Customer Blogger for CareOne Services, Inc.Kimberly Johns

Kimberly has been on the CareOne Debt Management Plan (DMP) for just under a year. Kimberly is very active in the Community Forums, some of you may recognize her Community user name; Tiquie. Recently retired, she is going to share how she and her husband manage the financial challenges of living on a fixed income. The John's have found some really creative and fun ways to offset the limitations of a retirement income, which Kimberly is generously planning to share in her My Journey out of Debt blog! Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • "Success is not a destination, it is a journey" -- put that in a bottle and sell it.....that's just awesome.  Thanks Kimberly!

• Hi t_pizel and thanks for reading the blog.  Success, to me, is something that is never finished, it's just completed step-by-step.  In my younger days, I was the director of our Children's Church.  The kids learned a song "He's Still Working on Me" meaning God doesn't get done with us either no matter what our age.  So, I guess success and God are sort of alike because neither is finished completely at any one time.

• Where's the "Like" button on this thing?  LOL. Great perspective, Kimberly.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)