My Journey out of Debt

Featured customers currently enrolled in a CareOne Debt Relief Plan, share journey to become debt-free; hear how they juggle family, finances, and more.

Spend Your Time Wisely

• Comments 1

Spend Your Time WisleyI remember the days when it didn't matter what it was, when I got something in my head that I wanted to do - I did it. 

• Go on vacation. 
  • Buy new clothes. 
  • Purchase the latest and greatest gadget. 

It didn't matter what the cost, I would figure out a way to do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. This wasn't even about spending money; it was about keeping me entertained.

Well, needless to say, those days are gone! 

I can't just walk into a mall today and window shop to kill time. It's just too risky because I know I will end up buying something that I don't need just because it's there and because I am bored. 

Over the last 5 years I have had to get pretty creative with my spare time, both while I was single and even now that I am married. It is really challenging to break old habits, but I have become pretty good at finding affordable ways to keep myself entertained and having fun without compromising my financial goals.

Here are some of my top ways to spend your time and not your money:

Volunteer

I dove into volunteer work when I went on a budget and I am kicking myself for not trying it before then.  For me, my volunteer time is spent around animals.  All it costs me is the gas to get there and it pays me back tenfold.  Good exercise, helping great organizations, loving on some four legged friends = awesome fun for me!

Exercise

I have never been big into structured workouts, but I found a running partner and started to take it on as a hobby.  I didn't realize how much fun it would be to start to running in small races in different communities.  This hobby opened up a whole new world and we started to find some really fun events to do and look forward to.

Go out to eat

No, really GO OUT to eat.  Pack a picnic lunch or dinner and find a cool place at a local park to eat and people watch or bring a good book.  Scenery is great and you don't have to tip.

Need more ideas, the web has hundreds of them and now there are even groups specializing in them so yes, everyone is doing it!

Just because we are being smarter financially does not mean we have to stop having fun!  Keep yourself busy, get creative or better yet, find a group to help you be creative.  There is a lot going on in our areas and more and more organizations are gearing their events toward those on a budget, because these days - who isn't on a budget?

Related Posts:

Don't Stop Having Fun

Have Fun With Board Games

Katie Simmons Lupo, CareOne Services, Inc. Customer Blogger, Debt Management PlanKatie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!

Your comment has been posted.   Close
Thank you, your comment requires moderation so it may take a while to appear.   Close
Leave a Comment
  • * Please enter your name
  • * Please enter a comment
  • Too many people think they have to spend money to be happy. You have offered some wonderful, inexpensive and free ways to find meaning in life without breaking the bank. God bless you on your new journey.

Page 1 of 1 (1 items)