If You Fall, Get Back Up, debt management plan customer blogI am going to be honest with you. I am all about encouraging you with all the positive things that happen to you when you decide to clean up your financial life. Giving affirmations for the accomplishments that you will achieve and being your overall cheerleader through this all important time is necessary, BUT, at times I just have to say it like it is.

Some of you may stumble and some of you may fall-don't worry, if you are ready for it, you will jump right back up again. 

Getting out of debt is hard at times and I want you to understand that there are challenges; you should expect, and appreciate that it can be hard. It isn't all fun and games; there may be times when you will struggle and those times are frustrating. I have been through them, and even four and a half years into this, I still prep myself for "when things go wrong." 

It is just smart to be prepared for good and bad experiences along your journey out of debt. Worst case scenario: you are ready to tackle a challenge when it happens. Best case scenario: no challenges. 

So what can you do when you fall behind? What if you can't make a payment, or pay more toward your debt? If you walk away with anything from reading my blogs, walk away with this: communicate. 

Be open and honest to those helping you along your journey. By being open about your challenges, you will better understand your solutions and available resources to help you overcome those challenges. Believe me, it may feel like there are not options, but there are always options. If you try to hide it or deal with it without knowing your options, you are going to get more frustrated. Tackle it head on, and deal with it by leveraging those who support you. It's that simple.

This concept is not exclusive to dealing with debt, you can take this approach beyond the plan and after you leave CareOne. If you ignore the reality of your situation when you fall behind, you are not allowing the people you owe to work with you. I have found that in today's world, if you let people know where you stand, they will do what they can to work with you-they want their money too.

There are going to be challenges ahead, but that does not mean that you are done. If you slip, just pick yourself up and move forward with your goals.

• When you can't make a payment, call and let CareOne or your creditor know before the payment is due. 
  • If you open a new credit card while enrolled on the plan, which you should not do, call CareOne to get it on your plan if that is an option. 
  • When your expenses start growing, talk to a financial expert to help you manage your budget better. 

When you fall behind, just start to talk. The answers will come.

Related Posts:

We All Fall Behind

What To Do When You Fall Behind

Katie Lupo Simmons, CareOne Debt Management Plan CustomerKatie (Simmons) Lupo

Katie is currently enrolled in the CareOne Debt Relief Services Debt Management Plan (DMP). You can read more about Katie's experience in the My Journey out of Debt blog. In her blog, Katie explores life without credit cards, living on a 'real' budget and making that adjustment from spender to saver. A newlywed, Katie candidly addresses how debt has influenced her choices in love and life. Look for older posts by Katie under the Single and Settling In blog. Compensated Blogger for CareOne Debt Relief Services.

To follow CareOne click here!